The Chainlink

I say we start a conversation about this. I have a CX bike and I like to get it dirty. I live in Lincoln Square. Obviously, there's not too many places to go unless you can get out to the Des Plaines Trail or the North Branch Trail. Easier said than done on a single-speed CX bike.

For my general off-roading needs, I've become pretty familiar with the garbage-strewn spiderwebs in the Labaugh Woods. It takes a few trial runs to learn how to get from Foster and Tripp to Central and Prescott without stopping, and because the trail runs so damn close to the river, you have to give it a good week to air out after it rains.

(The above picture is a shot of where the Labaugh Woods trail runs under 94.)

There is also the old railroad line that runs through the Labaugh Woods. I'm not sure of its exact name, but if you have a mountain bike, it can be a fun ride - and totally uninterrupted. You can ride it on from Wilson to Keystone and Glenlake.

(This is a shot of that railroad line. This is facing north from where the line crosses the north branch of the Chicago river.)

The problem with those two rides is that there can be some wily teenagers in those woods. I once found a pigs head, among other things. I also almost had a head-on collision with a 12-point buck. Lots of deer.

Last week, I also discovered a little path peripherally related to the North Shore Channel Trail, starting at Thillens Stadium on the corner of Devon and Kedzie. If you ride on the west side of the river, that's the sculpture path. However, on the east side of the river, from Devon to Touhy, is a great little trail system. (I don't have any pictures of anything there, but it is a fun little ride.)

I've also recently learned of the Bloomingdale Line/Trail, though I'm worried about getting 'caught' for trespassing.

Anyone else have cool idea for this kind of riding on the northside?

Views: 1107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Garden at Belmont and the river.

The rail line through Labagh woods is called the Weber Spur.

Enjoy off-roading it while you can. The part from Elston to about Touhy is scheduled to become the Weber Spur Bike trail, connecting at Bryn Mawr with the Skokie Valley Line trail.

It's the gray line in this map

I'd really like to check out those trails you mentioned. Let me know when you ride out there and I'll join you.

I suggest you pack a pump and just ride out to the DPRT. You can ride out there with 80psi and let it down to 30psi when you start to offroad. The difference in air pressure makes the ride out there way better. 

Or if the 7 miles is too far, you can throw the cx bike on the blue line and ride it to cumberland. The trail is only about a mile from the station. It takes about the same amount of time either way. 

That's right.  And if I remember correctly, the new paved Weber Spur Trail will run from Elston to Pratt when it's done.

Duppie said:

The rail line through Labagh woods is called the Weber Spur.

Enjoy off-roading it while you can. The part from Elston to about Touhy is scheduled to become the Weber Spur Bike trail, connecting at Bryn Mawr with the Skokie Valley Line trail.

It's the gray line in this map

I have a little loop I like to do that is not entirely dirt but mostly - best done early in the AM to avoid people in general.

Foster - take the cinder track along the lake, to the viaduct at marina bridge, to Cricket Hill, go up, back down towards the gravel path again, but this time reverse south and go back under the second overpass by the east lakeside of Cricket Hill, head to the nature walk, ride multiple loops through the paths (you'll be surprised how many zig zaggy ways you can do it) come back to the gravel, head west back under the overpass, keep going south past it, go under the overpass at Montrose Ave. stay left, cut through the gardenesque section (you'll see a line already there) and cut to the rocks behind the golf course, head south merrily fast watching for huge sinkholes, and keep north along the jogger's path and circle it to the harbor - head North from the harbor, get back to the Irving Park gravel section ride that, keep on it til Belmont, take that gravel path to Lincoln Park.

You can reverse it and get 16 miles from Lincoln Square of fun frolicky fast fun - or you can extend it past Lincoln Park by going past Fullerton on the Gravel, stay on the path southbound through Lincoln Park Zoo, take the overpass back to the LFP, grit your teeth and power through the sand to get on the grass right past that bridge close along the drive, and find the singletrack that leads North again, rock that out to Fullerton and then head back on the path and stay on the gravel side.  That adds another 2 miles.

If you want the full monty - take a southbound turn after the LFP bridge at the Zoo, head south on boring LFP pave until Museum campus and hit the cinder side again, this time at 38th street hit the gravel section by the lakfront and ride that all the way through 47th - there is a singletrack line on the righthand drive side to almost 51st, and then it starts again on the lakeside to Promontory Point.  Round trip that puppy for 30 miles off 80% off road CX friendly paths.

Off-road is what you make it if you're stuck in the city.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service