The Chainlink

Views: 277

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice, interesting article. However, I hate how outfits like the NY Times are now somehow keeping track of how many "free online" articles one has read. Presumably, at some point in the near future I will run out of "free views" and will have to pay at which point, NY Times can "suck it."

Nice, but 80 miles / day wearing a backpack?

NYT.com allows 10 free articles per calendar month.  Physical newspapers arent free, either.

kiltedcelt said:

Nice, interesting article. However, I hate how outfits like the NY Times are now somehow keeping track of how many "free online" articles one has read. Presumably, at some point in the near future I will run out of "free views" and will have to pay at which point, NY Times can "suck it."

The first few paragraphs almost read like product placement gone mad.  I don't think we need to know exactly which brand and model he uses.  I was waiting for the description of each component on his bike.  

Other than that I think it's great that the NYT is giving publicity to this trend and bike commuting in general.  

Kiltedcelt,

As someone who consults to media companies,  I can tell you that ad revenue is not enough to pay for NYT quality of journalist. 4 online readers = 1 paper reader in the minds of advertisers. Hence the need to charge.  Somebody paid that writer who got up at 3 to accompany the biker in the story.

S,

I believe the writer was trying to point out the biker's focus on high end gear and perhaps excessive preparation.

J

Right, that article didn't appear for free. The writer got paid, and there are other costs (web hosting, etc.) associated with getting it out there for us to read.

I also got the impression that the writer was focusing on that particular cyclist's leanings towards high end gear and excessive preparation. 

And I wouldn't ride that kind of distance with a backpack either.  Carrying the daily stuff on a rack would make the ride much more comfortable.  Just my $0.02...

jolondon30 said:

As someone who consults to media companies,  I can tell you that ad revenue is not enough to pay for NYT quality of journalist. 4 online readers = 1 paper reader in the minds of advertisers. Hence the need to charge.  Somebody paid that writer who got up at 3 to accompany the biker in the story.

I believe the writer was trying to point out the biker's focus on high end gear and perhaps excessive preparation.

Anne: 

I will send you a check for $0.02.  :-)

:djm

Anne Alt 2-10 said:

Right, that article didn't appear for free. The writer got paid, and there are other costs (web hosting, etc.) associated with getting it out there for us to read.

And I wouldn't ride that kind of distance with a backpack either.  Carrying the daily stuff on a rack would make the ride much more comfortable.  Just my $0.02...

BikeSnob's take on the commute article is amusing.  Go here if you could use a few laughs today.

This is better than the NYPD profiling bike commuters.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2008-2013   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C. Julie Hochstadter, Director   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service