The Chainlink

Saturday night round 11pm my friend was riding north on damen. He stopped at the top of the overpass at 290 to wait for the lights to change so he wouldn't have to stop at those lights. Out of the shadows somebody ran at him and knocked him off his bike. This caused him to break his clavicle. By the time he hit the ground another person was on top of him taking his bag and bike. They tried to get into his pockets but he started kicking then and traffic had caught up by then and they were honking and stopped these aholes from getting anything else. The cops came and he said that they were very helpfull. He got an abulance to county and was out after a long wait with only the broken clavicle. They eneded up finding his bike at a nearby bar. This majorly sucks for him since he has no insurance. I know that some of you have had simular experiences and I have heard about the victum insurence that would help pay his hospital bills. I would appreciate any info that I could pass on to him about this.

Keep it safe out there and keep your eyes open.

Views: 493

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can only hope that there is another serialized story coming...

T.C. O'Rourke said:
Also, consider that it isn't an easy thing to stab somebody. It takes nerve, strength and some skill, not to mention close proximity. Relying on merely brandishing a weapon is a way to get your ass kicked harder, or worse.
I've pulled a knife on attackers, but only because I was otherwise unarmed. It should really be a last option.
guilty... as charged.

Spencer "Thunderball" Thayer! said:

Also I don't want to be a downer but whoever posted the link to the coldsteel.com was giving illegal advice. The City of Chicago Municipal Code 8-24-020, makes it illegal for a person 18 and under to possess a knife with a blade longer than 2 inches and if you are over 18, a knife no longer than 2 1/2". In addition it states that knifes cannot be intended for use against persons so the one knife on coldsteel.com that is 2 1/4" in blade length would still be considered illegal because it has no applicable use outside of punching into flesh.

If you must have a knife you need to make sure you can argue that it's intent is for purposes of utility. Typically this is a box cutter or a locking knife. To the right you'll see a photo of my Chrome bag with a Gerber Mini Paraframe Serrated Knife pushed through the belt clip loop. I use this knife almost daily for regular cutting purposes so it's a little worn but if I am stopped and searched by an officer I would have no worry about it being attached to my bag. I can prove I use it for more than stabbing someone simply by showing the wear on the blade. Not to mention it is a 1/4" below the limit.
Stabbing is ineffective in such a situation anyway, as stab wounds tend to close up immediately and allow the attacker to advance.

T.C. O'Rourke said:
Also, consider that it isn't an easy thing to stab somebody. It takes nerve, strength and some skill, not to mention close proximity. Relying on merely brandishing a weapon is a way to get your ass kicked harder, or worse.

I've pulled a knife on attackers, but only because I was otherwise unarmed. It should really be a last option.

Also I don't want to be a downer but whoever posted the link to the coldsteel.com was giving illegal advice. The City of Chicago Municipal Code 8-24-020, makes it illegal for a person 18 and under to possess a knife with a blade longer than 2 inches and if you are over 18, a knife no longer than 2 1/2". In addition it states that knifes cannot be intended for use against persons so the one knife on coldsteel.com that is 2 1/4" in blade length would still be considered illegal because it has no applicable use outside of punching into flesh.
Assuming the attacker is trained or has enough experience to ignore the sharp pain of being stabbed. But what do I know I am a wuse.

Just a note, I feel like I should explain that I'm not an advocate of using a knife as a weapon in self defense. It seems like most defense instructors agree that unless you train with a knife it's most likely going to end up badly for you if you brandish it. I posted my knife picture as an example of what is legal. I doubt that my knife would even be effective against an attacker if I used it since it's so worn and tiny.
i sometimes carry a modern rendition of the ulu aka: inuit woman's knife. because it is an awesome utility blade and cooking tool...

click the picture for the link!

...for some reason, on the occasions that i've had to turn in my weapon(s) at the federal buildings they've come to identify me with the nickname of the "collector". have to admit that it isn't at all legal and may seem quite menacing when deployed.
Cutifly, would you care to be more specific about your generalization?

cutifly said:
We all know what they looked like, sounded like and acted like. Someone is gonna snap back sooner or later and I hope whoever pays for it is the one who actually has it coming and not some poor sucker who just happens to be hooked up with the wrong group of jerks on random chance.

Brian Wolber said:
Any idea what the attackers looked like?
Exactly. I've taken self defense classes in the past, and every instructor has emphasized this over and over. Police will tell you the same. Unless you know how to use it well (from military or other advanced training), any weapon has at least as great a probability of being used against you, possibly to kill you, as it does to help. That's a helluva chance to take.

In dangerous situations, my solution has been to get the hell out of there FAST. Not wearing yourself out a long way from home and keeping a bit of energy in reserve to be able to sprint your way out of a tough situation can save your life. This isn't an option in all situations. When it is an option, it may be the safest one.

I've sprinted my way out of dangerous situations in various neighborhoods around the city. Paying attention to your surroundings and getting yourself out sooner rather than later can be your most effective defensive weapon.

If someone surprises you up close and you can't immediately get clear, try to kick or hit him where it hurts most (groin, nose, eyes, mouth, kidneys, kneecaps). Your fist wrapped around a hard object (keys, roll of coins, etc.) or elbow can be very effective. Hit him and stun him, even if it's only momentary, then run like hell. Scream for help. If you're not close to home, work or a friend's place, run to an open business or a busy street where you can get help.

If you've never taken a self defense class, it can give you some useful tips you might not have thought of. If you're lucky, you'll never need to use them. Being aware of your surroundings may improve your luck.

T.C. O'Rourke said:

But . . .but . . . I've watched all 8 seasons of "24", shouldn't that count for something?

Seriously, good post.

Anne Alt said:
Exactly. I've taken self defense classes in the past, and every instructor has emphasized this over and over. Police will tell you the same. Unless you know how to use it well (from military or other advanced training), any weapon has at least as great a probability of being used against you, possibly to kill you, as it does to help. That's a helluva chance to take.

In dangerous situations, my solution has been to get the hell out of there FAST. Not wearing yourself out a long way from home and keeping a bit of energy in reserve to be able to sprint your way out of a tough situation can save your life. This isn't an option in all situations. When it is an option, it may be the safest one.

I've sprinted my way out of dangerous situations in various neighborhoods around the city. Paying attention to your surroundings and getting yourself out sooner rather than later can be your most effective defensive weapon.

If someone surprises you up close and you can't immediately get clear, try to kick or hit him where it hurts most (groin, nose, eyes, mouth, kidneys, kneecaps). Your fist wrapped around a hard object (keys, roll of coins, etc.) or elbow can be very effective. Hit him and stun him, even if it's only momentary, then run like hell. Scream for help. If you're not close to home, work or a friend's place, run to an open business or a busy street where you can get help.

If you've never taken a self defense class, it can give you some useful tips you might not have thought of. If you're lucky, you'll never need to use them. Being aware of your surroundings may improve your luck.

T.C. O'Rourke said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service