The Chainlink

The Westborough Baptist Church (of God Hates Fags fame) is visiting Chicago this Monday. There are organizations that may or may not be engaging in counter protest. So please do anything that you think is necessary with the information I am providing. Either way I'll be at Wacker & Michigan holding this sign,http://bit.ly/9Ug41a, if you want to print one out for yourself please do! High Quality Print: http://bit.ly/cU21Mv

Here is their schedule:
03/08/10, 11:45- 12:15 @ UIC Levine Hillel Center (924 S Morgan)
03/08/10, 4:15-4:45 @ Israel Consulate (E Wacker Dr & Michigan Ave)
03/08/10, 4:45 to 5:30 @ Hyatt Regency (151 E Wacker Dr)

Time: March 8, 2010 from 11:45am to 5:30pm
Location: UIC Levine Hillel Center, Israel Consulate & Hyatt Regency
City/Town: Chicago
Website or Map: http://bit.ly/cU21Mv
Event Type: counterprotest
Organized By: Anyone Interested In Social Justice
Latest Activity: 3 minutes ago

Views: 97

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Who does God hate now?
Nothing better to do Spencer than egg on bigots and homophobes?

Honestly I cannot think of a better or more fun use of my time. After all I work at Michigan & Wacker, hate religious zelots, hate homophobes and racists and love subverting protests using absurdism.

If you can think of a better use of my time (approximately one hour) I'm open for discussion. But if you're just diminishing the importance of challenging this type of bigotry then I'm not really interested in having that discussion because I think that is a waist of my time.

PS. Nice FHFIF thumb. LOVE THAT SHOW!
I didn't realize that it was so close to work. I'd really try to dissuade someone who actually was meaning to take a trip downtown to oppose them.

These people really don't deserve the attention; they need the attention. If everyone downtown on Monday just acted like they weren't there and went about business as usual, that would be more frustrating to them than "counter-protesting" or getting into a shouting match with these people. However, that has a slim chance due to the sheer volume of people in downtown, and they're bound to get someone's goat unfortunately.

Spencer "Thunderball" Thayer! said:

Honestly I cannot think of a better or more fun use of my time. After all I work at Michigan & Wacker, hate religious zelots, hate homophobes and racists and love subverting protests using absurdism.

If you can think of a better use of my time (approximately one hour) I'm open for discussion. But if you're just diminishing the importance of challenging this type of bigotry then I'm not really interested in having that discussion because I think that is a waist of my time.

PS. Nice FHFIF thumb. LOVE THAT SHOW!
Tank, I agree, if we as Chicago could create a public campaign and declare "Just Ignore Those Anti-Gay Douchebags" then that would be great. But the Church deliberately makes these plans at the last minute to try and surprise passers by with their message. Getting in an argument with them is pointless, I'll agree with that, but mocking them isn't. It invalidates their message, not that it really needs much help, and makes them look bad. Steven Colbert is a great example of this- though my sign isn't exactly as clever as something he would come up with.
Hey, tomorrow they will be in my old "home town" of Lamoni Iowa. Protesting, of course, something to do with the school my dad used to work for. an shortly after they will be here.
small world :D

How is there singing ? I don't really care who they hate, even if it is me ... The homely one is kinda cute ... Kid had got a nice smile too ...
I'll let you know if Westborough Baptist Church has ever brought Colbert to tonight's Word.

Spencer "Thunderball" Thayer! said:
Tank, I agree, if we as Chicago could create a public campaign and declare "Just Ignore Those Anti-Gay Douchebags" then that would be great. But the Church deliberately makes these plans at the last minute to try and surprise passers by with their message. Getting in an argument with them is pointless, I'll agree with that, but mocking them isn't. It invalidates their message, not that it really needs much help, and makes them look bad. Steven Colbert is a great example of this- though my sign isn't exactly as clever as something he would come up with.
I'd like to encourage folks to resist the temptation to visit their websites or hold demonstrative counter-protests. They are able to financially sustain this kind of travel schedule through the money they make on web hits, and civil lawsuits they settle with counter-protesters. There is a Facebook group called "the westboro baptists church loves everyone" or something (I can provide a link later when using a computer) which directs people toward gay rights and Jewish community service orgs... If you are able to donate money, this is a better use of time and resources than facing off against a group of people who KNOW that the vast majority of Americans disagree with their message. They are like the schoolyard bullies your mom warned you against, just trying to antagonize and get a rise out of you. We are better than they are and don't need to validate their presence in Chicago.
This is all a trick to actually make you show off with this OT post... Nice, Maybe dress in a devil suit/pitchfork and ride tallbike.
On this note, lookee, another one of them fag-hatin' republicans caught leaving a gay bar with his boy toy today:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/04/roy-ashburn-arrested-anti_...

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service