The Chainlink

Uh... looks like major disruptions on Lawrence Avenue at that one area where a valid alternative may not exist.  Lawrence is going to be closed Eastbound from the Kennedy. 

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140811/jefferson-park/jefferson-pa...

Assuming Ainslie is still open, I am guessing it will be chock-a-block.  I am not a big fan of Lawrence for Bicycles, but this will certainly impact my routes as well.

Views: 380

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wilson is 2 blocks south and is a good option for crossing the Kennedy. There'll be more traffic for sure but it's not too far out of the way. 

Uh.. okay.   But I am trying to link to Higgins and I have never found a path from Wilson to Higgins (other than Cicero... and I am not crazy enough to ride on that.   Wilson dead-ends in the triangle formed by Lawrence, Cicero and the Kennedy and forces you into what, I think, will be the heart of construction.  My initial thought is that I need to head "north" of Lawrence...

But I can be convinced as to Wilson.  Just tell me how...



Rich S said:

Wilson is 2 blocks south and is a good option for crossing the Kennedy. There'll be more traffic for sure but it's not too far out of the way. 

I wouldn't ride Cicero over there either! Makes Western look nice almost. 

Try something like this: http://goo.gl/maps/SeOtj

I can't picture where by Cicero the dead end for Wilson is. I know it dead ends going east before you get to Elston but there are side streets to get around that. 

Crazy David 84 Furlongs said:

Uh.. okay.   But I am trying to link to Higgins and I have never found a path from Wilson to Higgins (other than Cicero... and I am not crazy enough to ride on that.   Wilson dead-ends in the triangle formed by Lawrence, Cicero and the Kennedy and forces you into what, I think, will be the heart of construction.  My initial thought is that I need to head "north" of Lawrence...

But I can be convinced as to Wilson.  Just tell me how...



Rich S said:

Wilson is 2 blocks south and is a good option for crossing the Kennedy. There'll be more traffic for sure but it's not too far out of the way. 

Per the article only east bound Lawrence will be closed and only between Lavergne and the Kennedy. Since only one direction is closed for a short distance you might be able to get around the construction by walking/sidewalk ridding for a block. Ainslie would be another possibility.

Ah I just realized I was confusing crossing the Edens on Wilson with the Kennedy. Oops! 

If you want to avoid that area completely then you can take Montrose to either Milwaukee or Long then north to Higgins. If a northern route is better and you're going far enough west on Higgins then perhaps Elston to Bryn Mawr. Higgins and Bryn Mawr are just a couple blocks apart west of Nagle and once past Harlem they're just on opposite sides of the Kennedy. Bryn Mawr and Nagle can be hairy with the expressway entrance/exit but I really like riding Bryn Mawr between Nagle and Canfield. 

Sucks that this is eastbound instead of westbound since I could then just take Montrose in the morning.  Ainsel looks OK, but going home I will probably take Higgins->Foster->Elston->Lawrence to avoid the right-left across Milwaukee.  Foster is fine on that stretch.

Ainslie would be a fine alternative, or Elston to Foster and then to Higgins.  Foster is decently wide between Elston and Milwaukee, the section from Milwaukee until the Kennedy is a little skinny, but then once you're under the Metra viaduct at the Kennedy Foster is very wide.  You'll have to dodge some cars (potentially) that are turning left or right but it isn't bad at all.  I have ridden that way a few times and grew up that in area.

Lawrence is supposed to have dedicated bike lanes - but the painted lines have faded from river all the way west.  Will these ever get repainted?

As someone who commutes 3 miles on Lawrence, whether the bike lanes are painted or not is completely irrelevent to my interests.

Bob Kastigar said:

Lawrence is supposed to have dedicated bike lanes - but the painted lines have faded from river all the way west.  Will these ever get repainted?

Even if you're not interested bike lanes ARE important to other bicycle riders, tho.

envane (69 furlongs) said:

As someone who commutes 3 miles on Lawrence, whether the bike lanes are painted or not is completely irrelevent to my interests.



Bob Kastigar said:

Lawrence is supposed to have dedicated bike lanes - but the painted lines have faded from river all the way west.  Will these ever get repainted?


I think there are buffered lanes going in there soon.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2008-2013   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C. Julie Hochstadter, Director   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service