The Chainlink

So I'm heading north on my nightly lakefront ride, when I get to Olive Beach at about 11:30 and suddenly encounter a CPD truck parked squarely in the middle of the bottleneck there, obviously blocking anyone from trying to pass and announcing that the lakefront closes at 11:00 every night.

I turned around and took to the streets at Grand because I'm not inclined to argue with law-enforcement officers---especially when they are only enforcing what is indeed, technically, the law. Still, I was surprised (and mildly annoyed at the inconvenience), because I have never, ever been shooed off the Lakefront Trail after 11:00 pm, as long as I've been on a bike and clearly going somewhere.

So, it seems that the assumption that the Lakefront Trail is "open" (nudge nudge wink wink) 24 hours for cyclists no longer holds, and I thought I should give the heads up. Has anyone else encountered this recently? For what it's worth, on the return trip, I got back on the trail at 18th Street and continued on to 47th Street without incident.

Views: 1183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Definition of TRANSPORTATION

: an act, process, or instance of transporting or being transported
: banishment to a penal colony
a : means of conveyance or travel from one place to anotherb : public conveyance of passengers or goods especially as a commercial enterprise
— trans·por·ta·tion·al adjective

They are transporting themselves from point A to point C.  As long as they are just passing through point B then they are engaged in transportation rather than loitering.

Either that or NewFred can apply definition 2 ;)

The Lakefront path has always closed at 11:00 p.m., but some police officers would make you get off, however some used their judgement to allow you continue to your destination. The path opens officially at 6:00 a.m., I never had a problem in the mornings.

in it to win it said:

What time does it theoretically open in the morning?

6AM???

That is ridiculous.  I bet a lot of commuters have to be at work by 7 and that includes showering and changing.

Why don't we just close the Kennedy from 11PM to 6AM too?

Sounds like a plan to me!

Jennifer said:
Hey, let's close the Drive from 11pm to 6am and let people bike on it. Problem solved!

Well as a voice from the other side (opinion wise not the undead) there are several reasonable conditions that make it a (from their view) requirement to clear the lakefront, including the path.

These reasons all involve the police's NEED to control those areas they cannot patrol. A person (pedestrian or bicyclist) in the park after closing is in the eyes of the law officer either a perpetrator or a victim. The police don't have the manpower or incentive to proterct those that decide to dabble in the wild side and play in a kill zone. When the law withdraws from an area anyone in that zone is unprotected and could be at the mercy of the criminals that also inhabit the area.

While the Chicago Police have a habit to come off a bit (yeah so a bit is understated a bit) rude they do this to avoid 'discussions' that they do not feel like opening since to them they are right.

I understand their point and vehemently disagree with their methods (and wish our lakefront could be 'open and free' 24/7). The Chicago Police have always thought that 'sensitivity' is an umanly (yes they are also sexist...even many of the females officers) but they labor under the conception that all the 'citizens' don't respect them and that drives their behavior.

So any time we have occasion to encounter a policeperson try to be nice, try to be understanding and don't argue. And for some reason don't ask for their name and/or badge number as they really hate that.

Jeff

The Chicagoan

So any time we have occasion to encounter a policeperson try to be nice, try to be understanding and don't argue.

They really appreciate when people respond reasonably, with courtesy.  In the course of a day, they often deal with a lot of people who are being anything but reasonable.

And for some reason don't ask for their name and/or badge number as they really hate that.

Because they assume it's going to mean a formal complaint or a lawsuit.  Who would be happy about that?

Those with all the guns, the official badges, and the special hats of authority don't like uncooperative sheep.  The uncooperative sheep are the ones they come down hard on as it makes their jobs harder.

I agree that the best course of action is to be plesent and cooporative to the police, but if an officer is being overly rude to you, it is your right to ask for their name and badge number.

Anne Alt said:

So any time we have occasion to encounter a policeperson try to be nice, try to be understanding and don't argue.

They really appreciate when people respond reasonably, with courtesy.  In the course of a day, they often deal with a lot of people who are being anything but reasonable.

And for some reason don't ask for their name and/or badge number as they really hate that.

Because they assume it's going to mean a formal complaint or a lawsuit.  Who would be happy about that?

FWIW, I rode from Monroe Harbor to the Addison Pedway at about 11:30 last night.  There were bikes and pedestrians on the path along with several strategically placed CPD SUVs.  The LEOs apperead to be keeping a close eye on everyone and everything, but were allowing traffic to proceed unimpeded.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service