The Chainlink

I have ridden my bike up until last Monday. Does anyone know the current condition of the lake bike path from Irving to about Chicago?  thanks!

Tags: bike, front, lake, path

Views: 680

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not sure about the northside, but I just drove on Lake Shore Drive from 57th to 31st Street. The path has not been plowed along any of the stretches I could see from the Drive

I know that the LFP from Monroe Harbor through the Museum Campus is not-passable absent snowshoes and a lot of determination.  All the snow from LSD was dumped on the LFP through that stretch, and there looks to be about 12-15 feet of snow on the LFP.

 

I've driven LSD a couple of times now, and will second Jordan's observation that it looks unplowed from 51st through the Monroe Harbor.  That being said, some portions of the Path may not be that bad.  For example, when I walked the Lake Front at 51st, the Path only appeared to have 3-4 inches of snow.  I just don't know yet whether that was in the limited space I examined.  I know from prior experience that there can be some significant drifting on parts of the (southern) LFP.

Jordan Koss said:

I'm not sure about the northside, but I just drove on Lake Shore Drive from 57th to 31st Street. The path has not been plowed along any of the stretches I could see from the Drive
Active Trans is reporting sections of the north side have been plowed: http://www.activetrans.org/blog/rwarren/lakefront-trail-conditions-...

It is actually accessible from Hollywood to Fullerton.  At times it narrows to where just one biker/jogger can pass, but that's just cause the plow missed half the trail.  Anyone with mtb, or experience riding in sloppy conditions where you occasionally may ride off the hard surface or slice through wet snow mush...you will do just find.  I had no problem navigating it with a single speed and semi-slick tires.  Lot of salt.  At Fullerton, you have to take the jogger high road path...but I didn't continue on to see if the path was cleared all the way down through north ave and on to the michigan exit.

 

Hope everyone is being extra cautious, the drivers are certainly not acting as such......be safe!

As an update, when I drove south on LSD this evening, it looked as though the Path from Monroe Harbor to the Museum Campus was now clear.  Nice!  Maybe the whole thing has been plowed.

Joe Studer said:

I know that the LFP from Monroe Harbor through the Museum Campus is not-passable absent snowshoes and a lot of determination.  All the snow from LSD was dumped on the LFP through that stretch, and there looks to be about 12-15 feet of snow on the LFP.

 

I've driven LSD a couple of times now, and will second Jordan's observation that it looks unplowed from 51st through the Monroe Harbor.  That being said, some portions of the Path may not be that bad.  For example, when I walked the Lake Front at 51st, the Path only appeared to have 3-4 inches of snow.  I just don't know yet whether that was in the limited space I examined.  I know from prior experience that there can be some significant drifting on parts of the (southern) LFP.

Jordan Koss said:

I'm not sure about the northside, but I just drove on Lake Shore Drive from 57th to 31st Street. The path has not been plowed along any of the stretches I could see from the Drive
Just drove on LSD again from 57th to 31st Street. The path definitely got plowed sometime yesterday or this morning. Of course there will be ~3 inches on it in short order on account of today's snowfall!

Joe Studer said:
As an update, when I drove south on LSD this evening, it looked as though the Path from Monroe Harbor to the Museum Campus was now clear.  Nice!  Maybe the whole thing has been plowed.

Joe Studer said:

I know that the LFP from Monroe Harbor through the Museum Campus is not-passable absent snowshoes and a lot of determination.  All the snow from LSD was dumped on the LFP through that stretch, and there looks to be about 12-15 feet of snow on the LFP.

 

I've driven LSD a couple of times now, and will second Jordan's observation that it looks unplowed from 51st through the Monroe Harbor.  That being said, some portions of the Path may not be that bad.  For example, when I walked the Lake Front at 51st, the Path only appeared to have 3-4 inches of snow.  I just don't know yet whether that was in the limited space I examined.  I know from prior experience that there can be some significant drifting on parts of the (southern) LFP.

Jordan Koss said:

I'm not sure about the northside, but I just drove on Lake Shore Drive from 57th to 31st Street. The path has not been plowed along any of the stretches I could see from the Drive

I rode it today both ways from Hollywood to North Ave and it's pretty good all the way. Very pretty this morning covered in snow, all of which was gone by the evening. I posted updates on the lakeshore path wiki:

http://bikechicago.wikia.com/wiki/Chicago_Biking_Conditions_and_Adv...

Any word on just South of Fullerton?

Yesterday that area was a mess, you could either scale a snowpile to get on the low road which was clear or take the flooded highroad.   Its probably worse today because of the freeze.

 

I didn't bother riding the LFP today because of the ice potential.

I don't use it, but have heard that there are some bad potholes near the Oak Street Beach ...

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/metro/chicago-severe-weather-w...

FYI: Use a bit of caution just south of Fullerton where bits of the path got washed away in December. City crews built little patch ramps there a few weeks ago to smooth out the big, sharp drops the water and ice created. Those ramps are awesome and made this stretch smooth sailing agin, but the recent winds caused water to wash away some of the patching on at least one of the ramps. If you're headed north you should still be fine; just a bit of a rough drop at one point. If you're headed south, I recommend slowing down and staying on the right (west) edge of the path. So far the ramps are all still intact up on the west edge.

We post current conditions every day at www.activetrans.org/lakefront.

 

Ambimb, if you are on Twitter, please post updates with #CHILFT and they will appear on this page.

 

Follow @activetransLFT or check the page for current conditions before you head out.

 

Thanks,

Ethan Spotts, Marketing & Communications Director, Active Trans

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2008-2013   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C. Julie Hochstadter, Director   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service