The Chainlink

Lacking iron fists, I can't seem to be able to put the tube and tire back on

Hi Everyone! 

Since I started biking around Chicago 2 years ago, I have loved this happy mode of transportation. My introduction has been easy because my boyfriend has set up my bike and shown me all kinds of tricks.

Still, in my quest to become more self-sufficient, I realize that he won't always be around to help me with fixing a flat (so far he's always been, but he and I work relatively far from each other). This time when I got the flat, I had him watch as I tried to do it all by myself, to learn kinetically. Alas, I couldn't seem to find enough strength in my fingers during the last phase of reseating the tire and tube, and my boyfriend ended up finishing the job. That's always the bit I find daunting. 

Are there any tips or tricks anyone can offer on that last, most frustrating part of the tire fixing process? 

Thanks, 

Agnieszka

Views: 899

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

We have all seen badly produced ads for local tv.  Just watch late night or daytime cable.  This was one of the best cheesy home made commercial videos I have seen.  The bike shop owner may have seen Kill Bill Vol. I a few times.  Just guessing.

Agnieszka Z. said:

Yes, perhaps it was adrenaline I was lacking. :-) 

Here's a fun little video showing the frustration (apparently it doesn't discriminate when it comes to gender) and the bead jack salvation: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtbT8EOgtKM

As others have said, the key is to keep the bead in the rim well once its over the rim as you work your way around — sometimes you need to go back and push the bead to the center of the rim and work your way around again.  If you put a little air in the tube to help avoid pinching the tube, you may need to let it out to get the last part mounted.  If youre at home, a little talcum powder can act as a lubricant and allow you to get the tire on more easily.  Tires and rims do vary in diameter so some combinations are easier than others; mounting a new tire is often more difficult, too. 

Juan,

This is where I would include a clip of the 'Quien es mas macho?' clip from SNL if I could find it online, which I can't.

Doug is right - tire levers are definitely not best practice for mounting a tire. I have used them on occasion on really tough tire/rim combinations, but this is rare. It is really easy to puncture the tube when you do this, and I've done that a couple of times, too. I am blessed with easy-to-mount tires on my own bikes, but If I am having a tough time I use Doug's method; putting on your Scientific Man hat and applying a little Power Politics to the rim (so to speak) can work wonders if you've had some practice. It can get you a lot further with your girlfriend than macho displays, too!

Juan Primo said:

It sounds like your bf doesn't use tire tools.  Kind of a he-man move.... totally unnecessary for him to show off since he already has a girlfriend.  I can mount a tire with out levers too but I'm secure enough that I don't need to show off to the ladies.

Are you freaking kidding me!?

That video is one of the WORST lessons on how to change a tire I have ever seen.  It is flat out bad and skips all kinds of stuff and does several things flat out wrong or the hardest possible way.

Gene Tenner said:

Go here and choose from many, many videos on how to fix a flat on a bicycle, although this one is more appropriately titled How to Fix a Flat Bike Tire (w/o your boyfriend's help). You can do it, Agnieszka.

That was my impression, too, notoriousDUG: the "How to Fix a Flat Bike Tire (w/o your boyfriend's help)" youtube video is a bit of a parody of a dumbed-down help for the ladies. Like when she says she won't show how to patch a tube because she doesn't know it yet. 

(And props to David P. for managing to allude to the title of Hans Morgenthau's misguided magnum opus on a chainlink thread. It's awfully familiar... like something my boyfriend would do.) 

agree with notoriousDUG about using the palm of the hand.  that was the same trick the ladies at West Town Bikes taught me.  stop by ladies' night for a free lesson!

Thanks for asking this question.  

I vividly remember trying to fix a flat on my old bianchi and two of us girls couldn't do it.  Spent 30 minutes with all our might and couldn't get it over the rim.  Then my roommate's boyfriend walked in and 30 seconds later... all done.

and yes, yes, yes!!!!  Women's night at west town is a life saver.  I'll be there next Wednesday for the clothing swap.  Been collecting bikey clothes and other stuff for 3 weeks now.

yai danche said:

agree with notoriousDUG about using the palm of the hand.  that was the same trick the ladies at West Town Bikes taught me.  stop by ladies' night for a free lesson!

I offerered up a list of dozens of videos and pointed out one that had an approprite title, not the one that was best. You can undo your undies now.

notoriousDUG said:

That video is one of the WORST lessons on how to change a tire I have ever seen.  It is flat out bad and skips all kinds of stuff and does several things flat out wrong or the hardest possible way.

Gene Tenner said:

Go here and choose from many, many videos on how to fix a flat on a bicycle, although this one is more appropriately titled How to Fix a Flat Bike Tire (w/o your boyfriend's help). You can do it, Agnieszka.

Thanks, everyone, for the help. Y'all are super. 

I tend to stay away from anything "ladies' only," but your endorsements--as well as, ahem, reality of dealing with my tires--have won me over and I'll make plans to check out the West Town Bikes women night. 

After you get that tire fixed, I think it'd be really cool if you spent some time developing iron fists. 

Or you could not link to horribly incorrect tutorials as if they were useful...

Gene Tenner said:

I offerered up a list of dozens of videos and pointed out one that had an approprite title, not the one that was best. You can undo your undies now.

notoriousDUG said:

Gene Tenner said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service