The Chainlink

and charged with Felony Bike Theft. Press Release is below. This should make it much more difficult to beat the two prior felony bike theft counts which were brought against him in July. We love the Wilmette police department.

Views: 3612

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Comfort bikes, hybrid type stuff, shows up a lot.

James BlackHeron said:

Gabe, 

Could you give us a feeling for what this "look" is?  I'm interested in what kinds of bikes are the most likely to be stolen and if my bikes are in the "danger zone."

Could you show us all a photo of what we are talking about this "look?"

Gabe said:

Vince, some of the bikes are low value. The crooks have a "look"  that they go for. And when we went down to the swap there were a lot of bikes that were similar cause they know what they can fence. Value was a problem on pressing charges when we recovered bikes. ;-(

And Name brands sell. They know Trek well. Schwinn, etc... They can say 100 bux to you when you walk by and know it will go.

These particular thieves look for road-style bikes almost exclusively.

Gilberto was the "expert." In his absence my guess is that the others just key in on new looking bikes with rams-horn style handlebars.

So a converted 80''s chromed Ross Mt. Hood mountain bike with an 8-speed SRAM IGH plus a dyno/brake hub in front with a Brooks, Northroad bars, cork grips, full fenders, rear racks, and wired lighting might be considered a comfort bike?

Theft magnet or not? 

Currently using an OnGuard Pitbull U-lock + 3/8" super-heavy cable for the other wheel but I"m thinking of just carrying around a second Pitbull lock.

Nice Ride! I think it would be a target cause it looks cool. Flipside, it's very distinctive.

Not with that seat angle. ;-)

James BlackHeron said:

So a converted 80''s chromed Ross Mt. Hood mountain bike with an 8-speed SRAM IGH plus a dyno/brake hub in front with a Brooks, Northroad bars, cork grips, full fenders, rear racks, and wired lighting might be considered a comfort bike?

Theft magnet or not? 

Currently using an OnGuard Pitbull U-lock + 3/8" super-heavy cable for the other wheel but I"m thinking of just carrying around a second Pitbull lock.

That's a looker right there! ;-)

Chris C said:

Anthony Cantena

The owner of the GT series 4 picked up his bike from the Wilmette police today.

Kevin C said:

Three of the stolen bikes showed up on the Chicago Stolen Bike Registry; i.e. the GT, the Nakisi, and the Lemond. Here's the complete list:

great work and kudos kevin. I nominate you for an award for being part of a(nother) happy bike reunion with the owner.

DB

That was all Wilmette Police and the CSBR. "If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve..."

dan brown said:

great work and kudos kevin. I nominate you for an award for being part of a(nother) happy bike reunion with the owner.

DB

The owner of the Nakisi also claimed the bike.  I don't think he's had the chance to pick it up though.  Thanks for posting this info Kevin!  The Nakisi was a multi-month long project that was built up from a bare frame so the owner is pretty happy to get it back especially since he thought it was long gone.

Kevin C said:

The owner of the GT series 4 picked up his bike from the Wilmette police today.

Kevin C said:

Three of the stolen bikes showed up on the Chicago Stolen Bike Registry; i.e. the GT, the Nakisi, and the Lemond. Here's the complete list:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service