The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Goodman Theatre did a pretty half-assed job clearing the Dearborn bike lane. It's still covered with ice/snow, albeit less than yesterday. Still dangerous to bike though; I almost slipped on a patch of ice in front of the main entrance. They should have salted in addition to shoveling. It's clear that no salt was applied.

There are Chicago Ordinances requiring residents and businesses to keep sidewalks clear of snow and ice. Though not part of the Ordinances, the City offers additional guidance for snow removal requesting residents and businesses not push snow from the sidewalk into the street. The City of Chicago is responsible for clearing snow and ice from the public way, which would include bicycle infrastructure. Goodman is required to clear snow from its sidewalk. It is recommended that Goodman not push snow from the sidewalk into the public way. There is no requirement that Goodman clear snow from the PBL in either a full or partial assed way.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

The Goodman Theatre did a pretty half-assed job clearing the Dearborn bike lane. It's still covered with ice/snow, albeit less than yesterday. Still dangerous to bike though; I almost slipped on a patch of ice in front of the main entrance. They should have salted in addition to shoveling. It's clear that no salt was applied.

had to ride on my girlfriend's bike after a failed handlebar install all last week...her bike is so small...ouch my aching back...once I was back on my bike: straight to going for long rides up north. holy cow! - the weather was terrible this week. feet got cold many times but the snow was too beautiful to pass up. now to commute in the saltyslush...not so fun, but still a rush.

This is certainly true, but when the theatre promised to remedy the issue, I (incorrectly) assumed that they would actually clear the bike lane instead of just making it seem like they did something.

Kevin C 4.1 mi said:

There are Chicago Ordinances requiring residents and businesses to keep sidewalks clear of snow and ice. Though not part of the Ordinances, the City offers additional guidance for snow removal requesting residents and businesses not push snow from the sidewalk into the street. The City of Chicago is responsible for clearing snow and ice from the public way, which would include bicycle infrastructure. Goodman is required to clear snow from its sidewalk. It is recommended that Goodman not push snow from the sidewalk into the public way. There is no requirement that Goodman clear snow from the PBL in either a full or partial assed way.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

Adam, yesterday when I went out at 11:15 am, it was clean. Maybe not done well, but for the most part they cleaned their mess. Remember we did get additional snow in the afternoon, so maybe CDOT(or whomever) needs to swing through again to plow/salt. (In my perfect fantasy world!)

For more bike ride photos from today, click here.

You're right; I forgot about the 20 minute blizzard we got yesterday afternoon.

Jenn_5.5 mi said:

Adam, yesterday when I went out at 11:15 am, it was clean. Maybe not done well, but for the most part they cleaned their mess. Remember we did get additional snow in the afternoon, so maybe CDOT(or whomever) needs to swing through again to plow/salt. (In my perfect fantasy world!)

Yes I rode today, it was very nice. Just my fingertips got cold. A big shout out to the guys at Comrade Bicycle, for getting my Trek ready for me to ride this morning. Love Those Guys!!

I rode in after taking the other vehicle in for a checkup. Besides being a little too warm, it was fine.

Adam, I think your expections are fairly high.  Even if that was a pic after they resolved the issue, its not that bad of a job.  I imagine having to shovel/blow the snow back to the sidewalk after they pushed it to the bike lane was not very fun or rewarding.  The smugness of your expectations on how non-cyclists should treat us/PBL's, et al -  it's wearing me down, Man!

I'm not sure if you have shoveled during the last few snowfalls, but it is heavy stuff.  Its ridiculous to think anywhere but main roads should be salted to excess so you and your bike will have a perfectly smooth snow/ice/water free path.

Expecting someone to actually follow through 100% with a promise to do something is not unreasonable. Claiming that they will clean up the lane, then only clearing 80% of the snow out is unacceptable. The bike lane was not in riding condition, so IMO it was not cleaned.

Apie 10.64 said:

Adam, I think your expections are fairly high.  Even if that was a pic after they resolved the issue, its not that bad of a job.  I imagine having to shovel/blow the snow back to the sidewalk after they pushed it to the bike lane was not very fun or rewarding.  The smugness of your expectations on how non-cyclists should treat us/PBL's, et al -  it's wearing me down, Man!

I'm not sure if you have shoveled during the last few snowfalls, but it is heavy stuff.  Its ridiculous to think anywhere but main roads should be salted to excess so you and your bike will have a perfectly smooth snow/ice/water free path.

Obviously you do not shovel snow. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service