The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138524

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Today was worse than yesterday. When I tried to ride in the bike lane I kept slipping. Much easier in the car lane. This leads me to believe that I need another bike with 'fatter' tires cause this cheap road bike with slim/slick tires did not like today. 

Duppie - I think I see you often & spoke to you today on Lincoln/Wells?! If it was you, I wasn't trying to draft you - I just couldn't make up my mind on a speed/where I wanted to ride! 

For more bike commute photos from today, click here.

For those that ride south of the Loop, the Chicago Parks District is doing a fantastic job of clearing the Lake Front Trail.  The LFT was well plowed and well salted from the Loop south (at least through Hyde Park).  While the path was wet, I've not encountered any ice, and the path was essentially clear of snow.  Yesterday and today.

Salt's one of my pet peeves.  The city doesn't need to put down so much on the trail if they plow it early and let the sun (such as it is) melt off the rest.  This is based on a childhood of always having to keep the driveway clear.

Thinner tires should punch through some snow better than wider ones, but the tread - or lack of tread - is probably the bigger factor.  You'd have to get up into the clown bike size tires to start to roll over snow.

Jenn_5.5 mi said:

Today was worse than yesterday. When I tried to ride in the bike lane I kept slipping. Much easier in the car lane. This leads me to believe that I need another bike with 'fatter' tires cause this cheap road bike with slim/slick tires did not like today.

I am always looking for an excuse for a new bike... but something as simple a new/better tires is much more logical. 

Tricolor said:

Thinner tires should punch through some snow better than wider ones, but the tread - or lack of tread - is probably the bigger factor.  You'd have to get up into the clown bike size tires to start to roll over snow.

Jenn_5.5 mi said:

I just got this from Notify Chicago: Moderate to heavy snowfall expected about 1-3pm. Snow will fall heavy at times with accumulations of 1 - 1 1/2". Periods of low visibility expected.

So will the "little or no accumulation" forecast from this morning be correct or the "accumulations of 1 - 1 1/2 inches" be correct.  Stay tuned and look out the window!

Gene Tenner said:

I just got this from Notify Chicago: Moderate to heavy snowfall expected about 1-3pm. Snow will fall heavy at times with accumulations of 1 - 1 1/2". Periods of low visibility expected.

I have found a thin tire in the front and a wide/knobby in the rear to be a good winter riding solution, but my riding needs may vary widely from yours or anyone else's.

Agree that staying on top of the snow is not a reasonable goal; same rules apply as off-roading-- to track, you want aggressive tread that sheds quickly.

I guess space is a serious limitation for some, but I find having a seperate bike for winter conditions to be bliss.  The main bike I'm riding now was purchased new in 1996, and the 'winter' bike was bought for $250 or so used back in '03 or so, so It's not a particularly costly solution for me.

Jenn_5.5 mi said:

I am always looking for an excuse for a new bike... but something as simple a new/better tires is much more logical. 

Tricolor said:

Jenn_5.5 mi said:

A new bike is always nice.  I commuted on a 23mm tired road bike for years before I bought a touring bike with big fat 37mm tires.  So comfortable.  So heavy.  Worth it.

On the way home I noticed a guy shoveling snow in the eastbound Kinzie PBL. It was along the building that house the Holiday Inn and Sun-Times. He was doing a thorough job at it.

I don't have a proper camera-phone, so I didn't any pictures.

I tried to find the management company to send them a message, but came up empty. Anyone knows who manages that building? I think it is called the Chicago-Mart building.

Streets seemed in better shape today than yesterday.  Still not super clear.

Montrose&Broadway/Halsted/Clark&Van Buren

To Westtown on a weekday morning.  Main streets during rush hour and school clusterfracks.  No idea how you folks put up with this every day.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service