The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The lakefront ride can be deceptively hypnotic and comforting ... not that I have ever missed my turnoff and ridden 1.5 miles before realizing it is Friday, not Saturday, and I have to reluctantly re-trace my ride back to work, because my head was elsewhere. Nope, that has never happened.

Melanie said:

I took the Lake front path this morning and this afternoon- very nice and quiet and although it does add time and mileage to my commute, it also seems to be much more mentally stabilizing than taking the more direct and faster route through the city and in traffic. 

Gene - Last saturday when I was on my ride, I saw a dude on a recumbent ...lots of flags on a pole. Was that you?

That was me and my flamingo; it is sometimes hard to tell the pink bird from the huffing and puffing, pink-faced guy. Because I am lower to the ground I use the over-flagged poles to get noticed (the movement makes a huge difference) by traffic.

Jim S said:

Gene - Last saturday when I was on my ride, I saw a dude on a recumbent ...lots of flags on a pole. Was that you?

While I was on the path the other day, I saw someone on a recumbent- you weren't perchance wearing blue woolly slippers over your toes, were you? :) I thought it was cute (and a good way to keep the toes from freezing)! Oh, and I took the path again this morning, although the wind was a tiny bit discouraging. I may have to switch to my tour or road bike soon if this weather keeps up. 

Gene Tenner said:

That was me and my flamingo; it is sometimes hard to tell the pink bird from the huffing and puffing, pink-faced guy. Because I am lower to the ground I use the over-flagged poles to get noticed (the movement makes a huge difference) by traffic.

Jim S said:

Uh-oh, my precious cover is being blown. Perchance it was I. When the mercury drops below forty degrees, the oversized slippers cover my size-twelves. Yep, they are dorkily warm, but, more importantly, they are very light. Considering that my 35-minute commute alone produces - grab calculator - roughly 4200 revolutions (8400 roundtrip), I cannot use gravity as an aid like two-wheelers do, shoes can weigh a pound or more and the fake-fur-lined slippers only weigh ounces, I choose the dorky - cute if you must - slippers.

Melanie said:

While I was on the path the other day, I saw someone on a recumbent- you weren't perchance wearing blue woolly slippers over your toes, were you? :) I thought it was cute (and a good way to keep the toes from freezing)! Oh, and I took the path again this morning, although the wind was a tiny bit discouraging. I may have to switch to my tour or road bike soon if this weather keeps up. 

Gene Tenner said:

Jim S said:

jah

South bound LSD traffic stopped at Irving.  I just kept rolling on the LFP, whoohoo.

And it appears we have a new game afoot, spy the flamingo on the Ice Trike.  I enjoy a good game of I spy...

I rode the path, but missed the flamingo. Oh well, another day, another ride.  BTW, Steel Driver, what is your preferred route off the path and going home? I've been experimenting, but have yet to find the perfect route. So far, I've been getting off at Foster, taking Foster past Broadway, turning on some side street (Wolcott maybe?) then taking Berwyn to Balmoral through the Bowmanville area to Lincoln has been decent enough, but wondering if you have a semi-secret better route. That dang cemetery closes its gates early in the evening or I'd cut through there like I do in the mornings. I know you aren't supposed to, but so far, the groundskeepers haven't said anything to me.

Well, at least Melanie was polite enough not to mention that the slippers were all you were wearing . . .

Gene Tenner said:

Uh-oh, my precious cover is being blown. Perchance it was I. When the mercury drops below forty degrees, the oversized slippers cover my size-twelves.

Just Foster, East & West.  The parking restrictions, 7-9 A.M. Eastbound and 4-6 P.M. Westbound are ideal.  Somewhere around here there is a terrific thread explaining it all.  The parking restrictions were implemented in the sixties.  Allowing the free flow of traffic unencumbered by vehicles parallel parking. 
The street does not contain lane markings, so even though vehicles might be using it as a lane, since it isn't stripped it isn't a lane.  Works great till Clark St.  Two grammar schools and a high school, the drop offs require extra effort.  Other than that it's a piece of cake.  I'd say take the lane but there isn't one to take ; )  .   So enjoy the space five feet to the left of the curb!

Rosehill, I would be afraid of waking the 40th ward voters!

Melanie said:

but wondering if you have a semi-secret better route. 

Thanks SD. Hmm. For some reason, I have cars in the parking lane, even during the parking restrictions- I did see your thread to take Foster, though. It's peaceful to ride through Rosehill. I'll try Foster again and see how it goes- just seemed so "busy" LOL.  The main reason I have been taking the path is that recently I have had too many close calls on Lincoln for some reason. Last year didn't seem so bad, but this year it seemed the drivers are getting worse- no blinkers, right hand turns from the left-hand lanes, swerving into the bike lanes, etc. I'm pretty attentive and keep myself safe, but mentally exhausted by the time I get home. The path has been a wonderful stress-reliever. Not sure if I'll take it home today- depends on the weather and which way the wind is blowing- literally.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service