The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anyone tried running hand warmers?  

I'll change up how I layer, never thought about the gloves holding water against my hand and causing it to be cold.  I work at a company that I can probably snag a big pair of gloves to fit over the fleece, try to pull the water off my hands.

Otherwise I think I'll make a trip to the army surplus store this weekend and grab some trigger finger mitts.

LFT this morning south of Museum campus was much better than yesterday. The Park crew was out plowing while I was riding in. The only problem is the connection to the LFT from the street. The 47th St pedestrian bridge has not been plowed or salted once since the weekend. At least the hike over got me thoroughly warmed up early for the commute. 

I rode Clark in this morning from Evanston, thinking perhaps the buildings would help shield the wind a bit. Eh, not so much. LFT for me on the way home. Snow/ice-wise, Clark was fine though.

I treat my hands like the rest of my body parts; the outer layer should be Gore-Tex or a similar fabric, and everything underneath should be layers of wicking material which means no cotton and no rubber. Trapped moisture gets cold quickly, and that cold transfers to your hands. Air is a great insulator, so if you buy gloves that fit loosely, you will gain the protection which that trapped air provides. Mittens are better than gloves, because your fingers help warm each other.

Chitown_Mike said:

I rode today and have a weird problem with my hands.  

I know it's cheating, but I throw these in my gloves and boots. I'm not a serious rider like you guys (only ten miles a day total), but I never ever miss a day of riding. After sitting through a day at the machine shop, they are still warm for the ride home. With truly toasty hands and feet you feel warm all over.

Chitown_Mike said:

I'll change up how I layer, never thought about the gloves holding water against my hand and causing it to be cold.  I work at a company that I can probably snag a big pair of gloves to fit over the fleece, try to pull the water off my hands.

Otherwise I think I'll make a trip to the army surplus store this weekend and grab some trigger finger mitts.

Attachments:

Don't know why that would be cheating if it is what lets you keep riding!

Thomas Bruzan said:

I know it's cheating, but I throw these in my gloves and boots. I'm not a serious rider like you guys (only ten miles a day total), but I never ever miss a day of riding. After sitting through a day at the machine shop, they are still warm for the ride home. With truly toasty hands and feet you feel warm all over.

Chitown_Mike said:

Only 'cuz it's more crap in the landfill, so I feel guilty. I always enjoy your uplifting posts Ms. C.
Lisa Curcio 4.1mi said:

Thomas Bruzan said:

Chitown_Mike said:

Thanks.  And I am pretty sure that the ones in your photo are biodegradable. :-)

Thomas Bruzan said:

Only 'cuz it's more crap in the landfill, so I feel guilty. I always enjoy your uplifting posts Ms. C.
Lisa Curcio 4.1mi said:

Thomas Bruzan said:

Thomas Bruzan said:

Only 'cuz it's more crap in the landfill, so I feel guilty.

No free lunch:  Boiling the reusable warmers for 6 minutes before each use creates pollution, too.  Its been mentioned elsewhere but you can "turn off" the disposable warmers by putting them in a plastic baggie and removing the air.  I use them for several days this way.  As Lisa said, they are biodegradable (iron powder, water, salt, activated charcoal, vermiculite) and if it allows you to ride rather than using a more energy-intensive mode of transportation, you need to put that into that equation, too.  Less guilt, more riding! :-)

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

Thomas Bruzan said:

Only 'cuz it's more crap in the landfill, so I feel guilty.

djm said:

No free lunch:  Boiling the reusable warmers for 6 minutes before each use creates pollution, too.

Sure, but again, you need to trade that off against the pollution of other transportation options (and/or cost of taking the train or depreciating your car). If it becomes a serious problem, you could always buy the requisite carbon offsets. :-)

Solar powered oven... BOOM

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service