The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I took the day off as well, and hopped on Metra.

I rode today after sitting out for two days. The LFT was passable, but not great. North of the museum campus was clear with dry pavement. South of the campus to Hyde Park had a lot of snowy patches. Most areas had 1/2 to 1 inch of dry snow packed down. Due to it being so dry, my un-studded tires handled it well, though I had to keep pretty slow overall.

Milwaukee to Kinzie to Dearborn was fine.  Today was probably the best day of the three this week.

That's because all us wusses got off our bikes, giving you a clear lane. :-)

Brendan Kevenides said:

Milwaukee to Kinzie to Dearborn was fine.  Today was probably the best day of the three this week.

I'll go down to about 20 degrees in my normal commute, so I'm on the CTA this week.  I'm impressed by the cyclists who go by at Elston/Fullerton/Damen while I wait for the bus.  Shoutout to the guy in the red coat who evidently doesn't need goggles in this cold.  Kudos to all of you who are still out.

Sure, not made of cotton candy.

Good stuff out there today--the slush is malleable enough to ride through despite the temperature, so the salt to slush mix is about right.

Here's a question for the panel, though--has anyone seen a barrier protected bike lane that's getting any plow attention, or are they all just full of snow and nearly impassable? (Broadway was no good at all this morning, I'll go back to Clark until the next thaw.)

Wow, these are simply gorgeous. Kudos for getting out there.

Gene Tenner said:

I'd agree.  Monday felt colder, but it could have been the wind at my back that helped today.  We'll see if my thoughts change after the ride home.

Brendan Kevenides said:

Today was probably the best day of the three this week.

I had a friend reach out last night warning me of the cold...I prepared, but it didn't seem as bad as Monday. The wind was worse yesterday. Everyone at work says I'm crazy for riding my bike. I say they're crazy standing still while waiting for a train or bus.

I am with you, Jaik. I think it's nuts to stand waiting for a bus or train when you can get some exercise and stay warm at the same time.

I rode Monday both ways and aside from the condition of the LFP, it was my favorite part of the day.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service