The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138529

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Today's ride: feels like coming home....

Today's short ride does not leave me with confidence for the rest of this winter.

Plenty of time has passed since the last snow fell and the streets are still in fair (at best) condition for bikes?

Can't they follow up and re-clear lanes of the snow tracked in from the side streets, or at least salt some more?

And tonight we'll start the pattern of last winter: snow followed by a week or more of sub-freezing temps. 

I guess it'll be a while until I'm comfortable out on the street again.

Could be worse. In the 48th ward, the sidestreets were not plowed at all.

JeffB (7+ miles) said:

Today's short ride does not leave me with confidence for the rest of this winter.

Plenty of time has passed since the last snow fell and the streets are still in fair (at best) condition for bikes?

Can't they follow up and re-clear lanes of the snow tracked in from the side streets, or at least salt some more?

And tonight we'll start the pattern of last winter: snow followed by a week or more of sub-freezing temps. 

I guess it'll be a while until I'm comfortable out on the street again.

Side streets in Rogers Park and Edgewater were a bit sketchy this morning. LFT between Ardmore and Fullerton was pretty good. Clark (what little I saw of it) and Wells were okay.

Ride into Streeterville was fine this morning (via Clark) but the side streets towards the lake were pretty messy. Will probably take LFT north (get on past the curve before Oak St. Beach--the was a sheet of ice yesterday but everything else was okay). Did anyone take Armitage today?

Without studded tires, I would stick to Clark, unless your destination is close to the LFT. I get there from the Loop via Franklin/Orleans, Superior, Wells, Lincoln Park West, Dickens, Stockton, and Fullerton (ride the path/sidewalk on the north side of the street). I think that should all be fine after work. The path along Fullerton wasn't yet plowed when I rode in this morning. You could always take the street, I suppose, but after the construction last year, it seems less bike friendly.

Gene you take some bomb-ass pictures!  I love this thread if for nothing more than your pics.

Gene Tenner said:

Skip,

Back in the day Eastwood was badass. Now that he's taken to taking to chairs, not so much.

So, I'll give you that one. Kinda creepy, yes.

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

S said:

As an aside... Beans, that Clint Eastwood GIF is kinda creepy...

No where a Gene T picture but snagged this on my way to work this morning.

I conceded to the weather and drove to work.  Mainly because my wife either was going to get her and the kids out to drive me, or I drove myself.  She didn't need the car so I drove.

Anyone else give in today?

Snow and/or wind chill of -10 send me to the Blue Line, ergo, no riding this week.  Looking forward to next week when the heat wave moves in.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service