The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Iggi--I'm serious about having written a letter to the boot manufacturer. It's very likely I'm going to get a new pair of boots for free. They have a 2 year warranty (Keen needed some details and a photo of my boots, not the receipt that I don't have) and I think they'll replace them because the waterproofing wore out in 1 1/2 years of winter wear.

I have a 9:00 walk this morning and it's close to home. I'll probably walk and then see how it feels by my next walk. There's a good chance I'm not riding today.

iggi said:

yesterday was a breeze. but i came down with something so today im bed ridden.  hopefully ill fell better cause i got groceries to get. and hopefully the temps will be in the positive values by then.

i too have to start bagging the feet.  i have these awesome goretex boots but the 'stuff' has worn away and now it seems the leather and fabric are perpetually wet. ill dry them in front of a space heater but by the time i get through my yard and to the train, the accumulated snow melts and gets the boot wet again.  i purchased the waterproofing spray stuff.  waste of money.

and i too have been having issues with more difficult pedaling, but i think its more related to the layers. it hampers my mobility it seems.

stay warm, folks

Oh, yes. I wanted to add that pedaling seems really difficult in this weather. I think it's not my bike, it's me and my bulky gear and the winds. I just feel like I'm exerting so much more energy riding in the winter. Do we burn more calories in cold weather? I think we do.
I think you're right. Riding in the winter takes a lot more out of me. I can feel that I get more tired as the week wears on. In the weekend I usually take afternoon naps on both Saturday and Sunday

Holly said:
Oh, yes. I wanted to add that pedaling seems really difficult in this weather. I think it's not my bike, it's me and my bulky gear and the winds. I just feel like I'm exerting so much more energy riding in the winter. Do we burn more calories in cold weather? I think we do.
no!!!! this february is really starting to get on my nerves.

You'll never ride as well in the winter as in non-winter, here's a good article discussing why:

http://www.icebike.org/Articles/SlowerWinter.htm

Did you last fill up your tire in the cold or imediately after coming in with the bike still cold?

If that's the case, the air in the tires would expand as the bike sits in a warm apartment and the pressure inside the tire increases.  In extreme cold its a good idea to fill up tires when the bike/air is warm.  It means riding with lower pressure (which many people prefer in the winter) and the tire pressure isn't causing wearing on the tube seems when the bike warms up inside.

Serge Lubomudrov said:

I called in sick today, so, obviously, I didn't ride . . . turned out I was lucky: not because I don't feel good, but because of that:

Some puncture, eh? My bike was just standing there, and all of a sudden I hear an unmistakable hissing sound. . . . Good thing it didn't happen outside with 6F below!

And here I thought my slow riding was due to the ten pounds I put on over Christmas.....

It's...so...cold...

I did get my coffee for free this morning once I got to the place by my office, I think in large part due to how pathetically frozen I looked. And it worked, I feel much better (read: warmer) now.

My freewheel has been acting up the last few days (pawls not catching because of the cold, I assume). Next winter I think I'll stick w/ fixed gear or an IGH hub. Pedals spinning free in the middle of a turn on ice makes the commute a little too exciting.

Car started yesterday when I went to start it and let it sit idling for a while. It won't start today.  That certainly makes the decision a lot less complicated for me. Today's a bike riding day. Weather be damned.
Been laid up with a horrid cold/flu for closing in on a week and a half now. Yesterday I managed to pedal to the train station 2 miles away instead of cycling my normal 8 mile commute to work. It's cold, but I have to start riding again, and with the exhaustion I am feeling, I think the 2 miles is something at least.  Today, although I almost thought about passing the train station and doing the entire commute, I decided to bike to the train due to the cold, and the fact that I don't want to aggravate my recovery. It was really cold out there- I wear glasses and since goggles fog up too much for me, I had little eyelash icicles when I got to the train station. I will probably do the bike/train thing tomorrow, too,  and then go full commute next week when I am sure I am fully recovered from this awful illness.
There is nothing wrong with riding to the train station on days like this.

Melanie said:
Been laid up with a horrid cold/flu for closing in on a week and a half now. Yesterday I managed to pedal to the train station 2 miles away instead of cycling my normal 8 mile commute to work. It's cold, but I have to start riding again, and with the exhaustion I am feeling, I think the 2 miles is something at least.  Today, although I almost thought about passing the train station and doing the entire commute, I decided to bike to the train due to the cold, and the fact that I don't want to aggravate my recovery. It was really cold out there- I wear glasses and since goggles fog up too much for me, I had little eyelash icicles when I got to the train station. I will probably do the bike/train thing tomorrow, too,  and then go full commute next week when I am sure I am fully recovered from this awful illness.
Yes I rode, but only b/c I worked late Tues & Weds didn't ride on those days.  Two days on the train and I was riding today no matter what.  It was slow but I was considerably less miserable than I was on the train.  Stay warm everyone, and keep your mittens crossed that those 40-degree temps actually show up next week.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service