The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I started out this morning at about 8:15am with my daughter. We were both happy riders the whole time, she was singing in her trailer and I was singing on my bike (softly, I hope!).

I usually wear a windwall jacket and today I decided to also put on my raincoat for added wind protection. I was worried about my hands mostly but I was warm and kept my fingers moving and they were fine (granted, I got lobsters and I also have glove liners in there). I managed to do a short ride and two long ones (each 1/2 hr) today so far and it wasn't too bad. My eyes were tearing up behind my glasses but the tears just rolled into the fleece covering my face.

Does anyone else have trouble with their bike being harder to pedal when it gets really cold? I've noticed this year that when the temp is much below 25, there's greater resistance. I am thinking I have water or something that is freezing on my chain.
Has anyone mentioned it was pretty cold today?

I'm not going to lie. I WAS VERY COLD!

I wore the dumb ski pants. But then I was too hot. I had to stop on Milwaukee and whip them off and change to the windproof rain pants. For 10 seconds I had on no boots and black wool long underwear. Then, had the rain pants on and was back on the road. Frozen within a 1/2 block. Had about 2 3/4 miles to go. North. In the wind. It wasn't all that great.

Made it through, though!

(P.S. How gross is your gator (gaitor? gaiter?) on a day like this? Mine is really gross.)

I rode to and from my indoor training session, It was the first time I can remember feeling the beestings on my thighs, even though bike tights and bike shorts.....

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/67507338

Oh, and the garmin/power meter does not like the cold

If you use oil it will stiffen up, use grease, graphite or Silicone but at 5 degrees even the bus moves slow.

Brendan said:
Does anyone else have trouble with their bike being harder to pedal when it gets really cold? I've noticed this year that when the temp is much below 25, there's greater resistance. I am thinking I have water or something that is freezing on my chain.

My face! Went from Wacker/Michigan to Division/Clark and decided to take the bus.

Then from 2500 west to 3300 west and was hating it by 2800, only 3 weeks left, I hope!

Yes.
A little cold this morning.
No

yesterday was a breeze. but i came down with something so today im bed ridden.  hopefully ill fell better cause i got groceries to get. and hopefully the temps will be in the positive values by then.

i too have to start bagging the feet.  i have these awesome goretex boots but the 'stuff' has worn away and now it seems the leather and fabric are perpetually wet. ill dry them in front of a space heater but by the time i get through my yard and to the train, the accumulated snow melts and gets the boot wet again.  i purchased the waterproofing spray stuff.  waste of money.

and i too have been having issues with more difficult pedaling, but i think its more related to the layers. it hampers my mobility it seems.

stay warm, folks

Does riding your bike to the Metra station count? Then yes.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service