The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138529

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Haven't been riding since last Tuesday, so I decided to get some work done on the bike. New chain/cassette. Hope by tomorrow most of the Sunday snow has been plowed properly on the side streets.

Well, no, I haven't ridden yet today. But I've noticed in the past few days of riding and driving that even the largest streets seem to be running relatively well for automotive traffic now, and the snow is still taking half a lane on the right side of parked cars. One example: Ashland from 290 to Bryn Mawr.

So there is no reason that a raised cycle track can't be put in there where the snow is now, between the parked cars and the sidewalk.

I'll save the rant about the tram down the center, where the planters are, for now.

Everybody get to work!

Yes.

That's a valid point. We see how the plows tear up the pavement with every pass, and we see how inflexible they are in terms of not being able to get too close to parked cars.

Serge Lubomudrov said:
The question is, who's going to clean these raised bicycle lanes, assuming they'll ever be built?

Allen Wrench said:

[...] there is no reason that a raised cycle track can't be put in there where the snow is now, between the parked cars and the sidewalk.

Well, at UIC and similar places they have a narrow little snowplow thing with a salter/sander on the back made by Kubota to clear sidewalk sized paths. A Bobcat can fit on a narrow bike lane, too. In Germany they have similar little machines and the municipality clears the sidewalks in many areas. And I suppose that here in Chicago the same people who plow now - streets and sanitation - would get dibs, or perhaps the project would be interesting enough to get aldermanic or mayoral support, or the lane would be a park district park of some kind.

But seriously, are you truly suggesting that putting in bike cycletracks on major corridors is impossible because it's hard to decide which city department might clear snow off them? 

This is a bit off topic for this thread, so I'll make a new one for anyone who's interested called Let's Get Cycletracks. See you there.

I don't think that's a fair characterization of anything that was said in this thread-- but I will say:

Look out the window-- giant snowflakes coming down.

Allen Wrench said:

But seriously, are you truly suggesting that putting in bike cycletracks on major corridors is impossible because it's hard to decide which city department might clear snow off them? 

Well...that was a snowy ride today. It started snowing at around 2:30. It's really pretty.

People driving are going slow, but seem kinda dimwitted.  (Not sure if they were just being cautious, looking for parking or just plain confused.) I had my lights on by 3:00. 

My feet are soaked from walking around with the dogs.

You should plan on being pretty far in the lane or well into it on your way home. It's accumulating out there slowly but surely.

Today's snow packed under my fenders and slowed me way down. It also threw itself up in the air as the fenders scraped it off the tire. One point I was going faster and it almost hit my face!

The snow covered my shoes, but thanks be to wool socks. Feet stayed warm.

The only annoying thing about the warming trend is how wet and dirty one can get... no innuendo

Tricky ride home tonight. Big fat wet flakes spinning into my face the whole way. Had to take the lane a few times. and portage in a few others. all in all a sloppy wet but oddly fun experience.

Yep, took the car lane most of the way.  This snow ride was WAY better than last Tuesday's!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service