The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138510

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I noticed you'd popped in here yesterday, Mark. Good to see you, too. And--of course you have a kilt!

Happy Friday. 

Today, I rode. I rode a lot. 

I sprung up from bed today, feeling sprightly and vigorous. I said, 'today is the day I do a solo, self-supported century!'

So I stopped at On The Route on Lawrence and got a c02 cartridge and a spare tube (I had just used my other set last week) and set off. 

My goal was to use the different paths to link up some sort of route. I began on the trusty ol' north channel trail at Lawrence. From there, I got off at Golf and meandered over to Winnetka Ave to hop on the Green Bay Trail. 

So far, so good. Eventually, that trail ended and I picked up the Robert McClory trail - formerly the North Shore Bike Path. 

I F****n hate crushed limestone. I didn't care so much because the trail was rather pleasant to ride. 

That is, until I got to the northern-most leg of the trail. I WILL NEVER RIDE THIS PART OF THE TRAIL AGAIN. Waukegan, South Chicago, and some parts of Zion are a dump. There were all sorts of shady characters milling about on the trail, and at some part on the trail near Waukegan, I am almost positive I saw an open air drug deal. 

But anyways, I could live with that. What I can't live with is the ungodly amount of broken glass that was strewn about the path. I have no idea how so much broken glass could have gotten there - I could see the remnants of broken 40 oz bottles, some vodka bottles...etc. The worst part about all of this is that you CAN'T make out the clear broken glass against the white crushed limestone until it's too late. 

I somehow made it out and up to the state line OK, magically even, without a flat. Here I am, happy as can be that I made it over the state line. It's a weird feeling to know you made it into another state...on a bicycle, of all things.

Hilariously, those 3 miles of the Kenosha trail are marvelous. The path is smooth as butter and paved very well. I pedaled to downtown Kenosha to celebrate with some lunch and a beer. 

The ride back was going pretty well, I thought. I'm somewhat ashamed to admit it, but I spent the entire ride back in my small (39T) chainring. I made the mistake of not pacing myself, going balls to the wall (around 17 mph) the entire way up, stopping without any sort of break (also very stupid.)

Then, I had to pass through the dreaded Waukegan/ South Chicago corridor. I tried my best to navigate around the broken glass. Once I made it through the area, I was absolutely relieved. 

Then around mile 82 or so (Highland Park,) I noticed that my rear wheel was acting funny and I was slowing down. I hopped off, and noticed that my rear tire had gone flat!! I pulled over to a safe spot and pulled the wheel off to inspect it. I quickly found the culprit - a good sized chunk of glass...Grrr! I must've picked it up in Waukegan! Just as I got ready to swap tubes, my wife called. I told her what happened, and she insisted (I swear) that she come pick me up, as she works nearby in Evanston. Just as I was finishing up the tube swap, she pulled up. Into the car the bike went, and we were homeward bound.

So, I'm disappointed that I couldn't finish the full 100; I was so close! It's my longest ride to date, coming off of the 75 miles to Madison that I just did with all the awesome folks on the Frozen Snot Century. Now that I've had a ride on this route, I know what to avoid. Back to the drawing board, I guess. 

Sorry to take up so much space! But, I wanted to share with you guys. Thanks!

For more Lakefront Bike Ride Photos from Saturday, April 7, 2012, click here.

For more Lakefront Bike Ride Photos for Sunday April 8, 2012, click here.

Left Humboldt Park,did some errands on the way, West town, Wicker Park then wound my way over to the LFP all the way to Rogers Park, some Pizza and a beer then back.

What a great day for a ride.

I'm in Oak Park, my dad lives in Edgewater. My brother was going to pick us up and give us a lift, but my son got tired of waiting and wanted to bike in. So - thirteen miles in, hang out there for a few hours, and then take the LFP from edgewater, stop periodically to play in the sand, down to the loop where he decides he wants to stop for sushi, which is apparently twelve miles - not bad. Wrap it up by hopping on the green line because as yet I haven't set up my hoopty with a thing he can sleep on.

That's a good day.

Great shot of your son, despite the redeye.  Thanks for sharing the smile.

yes

Refilled my smugness tank this weekend, which was running precariously low.

On Friday had to bring our tandem over to the bike shop for repairs. It is too far to walk back, so it was me riding one bike, steering the tandem alongside me with my right hand. Various incredulous looks from drivers, most of whom probably thought that I was stealing a bike.

Then on Saturday, first a ride to Lincolnwood to pick up a nightstand. Carried it back on our trailer. Got various "wow, that is amazing" comments from the furniture store workers.

Then off to the lumber yard, to pick up a bunch of cedar for our new garden bed.

It all was accompanied by some of the nicest weather we had in a few weeks.

You ghost biked a tandem?  That's impressive!

And maybe you turned a furniture store worker into a cyclist!  That's the point, to be an example of what IS possible,  right?

Duppie said:

Refilled my smugness tank this weekend, which was running precariously low.

On Friday had to bring our tandem over to the bike shop for repairs. It is too far to walk back, so it was me riding one bike, steering the tandem alongside me with my right hand. Various incredulous looks from drivers, most of whom probably thought that I was stealing a bike.

Then on Saturday, first a ride to Lincolnwood to pick up a nightstand. Carried it back on our trailer. Got various "wow, that is amazing" comments from the furniture store workers.

Then off to the lumber yard, to pick up a bunch of cedar for our new garden bed.

It all was accompanied by some of the nicest weather we had in a few weeks.

For more Lakefront Bike Ride Photos for Monday April 9, 2012, click here.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service