The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138524

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The wind was from the west-southwest so there was more tailwind than headwind on the Lakefront trail. The rain/sleet/snow mixture drive by 40mph wind around 6:30 hurt. My face was raw.

This morning was perfect! It reminded me of a spring morning after a storm with the sun reflecting off the wet streets and humidity in the air.

I rode south on the lakefront at about 2pm today. 30mph south west wind, hard work but 60+ degrees

Coming home north on LFP from Fullerton to Lawrence 36 degrees with west wind at 17 mph with gusting to 30mph.

Wasn't all the bad till I had to go west all the way to Leavitt.

Now I'm tired.

A.M. commute was an exercise in the gray scale.  Not complaining about the lack of color.  The wind wasn't in such a hurry today, so just an observation.  P.M. I stopped of at my favorite LBS.  The one where Buddy runs the show.  Buddy was off the clock but I got my Suntour New Winner Freewheel questions answered by John.  Who is a prince of a guy.  An exciting 20 lbs of '86 steel, rubber an aluminum are nearly ready to hit the streets.  Stand by for updates gentle readers.  ; )

The flamingo has really adapted well to this balmy Midwest winter we're having.  Looks like an intelligent and friendly sort.    

I did not ride today. I rode tonight after work, because I had to use a car at work.

I was at the Bill Clinton and Rahm Emanuel press onference today hosted by the Carpenters Union at our Training Center in Chicago doing my usual thing of taking photos, so I could write it up for our magazine. 

I was up front and off to the left and noticed a carpenter member of ours, Russ, standing next to me with his two-year old girl, Giulianna, on his hip. I saw Clinton look our way, Russ pointed to his daughter and Clinton nodded yes.

So, I told Russ I would take his photo if Clinton stopped by.

Sure enough. He did. I snapped the photo, below.

When done with Russ, President Clinton turned back and stared at me.

I stuck out my hand, shook his and said, "Thanks for doing what you do, Mr. President."

He nodded his appreciation.

I turned to Russ. "Are your hands shaking like mine?" I asked.

"Yup," Russ replied as we both showed off our quivering digits.

Not since I met Santa at age 5 have I been so affected by meeting someone, and I am awed that he still carries such an immense presence.

Gene, that's an absolutely awesome experience!

Closest I ever came was when (then) Senator Obama came and spoke at our college. And I met Blagojevich (not sure if that's something to be proud of, though.)

What is so odd, Jim, is that I am no stranger to celebrity. Obama before state Senator and before President (shaking his hand, talking to him and introducing him to my son), U,S. Senators and congresspeople and others. Yet, here was a white-haired man who had me quivering, just by looking into my eyes.

Remarkable.

Gene thanks for sharing.  Those Presidential types come in with huge magnetism! 

Jim S are you a Knox alum?

Nice day on Thursday, so I got out for 38 miles in the hills on a SS.  Sorry about the washed out images, I had left the exposure set on full from the previous ride's after sundown pics.

No sir, St. Francis alum. Though, I did meet some very pretty Knox girls at some English Lit/Language conferences!

Steel Driver said:

Gene thanks for sharing.  Those Presidential types come in with huge magnetism! 

Jim S are you a Knox alum?

No need to worry about the exposures. These have a nice feel to them, regardless. I think we are all happy to see the beautiful ride you have, regardless of exposure problems. Been there.

mark stetson said:

Nice day on Thursday, so I got out for 38 miles in the hills on a SS.  Sorry about the washed out images, I had left the exposure set on full from the previous ride's after sundown pics.

Got soaked to the core on my ride home. How do you guys keep dry on days like today, where there is a fairly persistent rain going? 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service