The Chainlink

I just missed the press conference and just hung out at lunch to see how it would all work. It seemed easy enough, so I took Dearborn as my starting route home to Roscoe Village. Normally I hit Franklin to Orleans then north to Lincoln.

I have to say, it was pretty easy and relatively safe. The ambassadors were helpful with the the auto traffic. The walkers were easy enough to avoid. I had to chuckle at two riders riding side by side in the lane.

What I didn't see was any oncoming traffic; southbound riders. I am guessing that will come in time or at other times during the day.

Way to go Mayor RE! This is really making a statement.

Who else rode the new path?

Views: 17627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

> During the course of my meal nearly 200 bicycles had passed by going both directions in the PBL.

Seems like they had no trouble navigating around the signs at Trattoria 10. :-)

The fact that they've been moved out of the bike lane probably contributes pretty highly.

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

> During the course of my meal nearly 200 bicycles had passed by going both directions in the PBL.

I saw those on the way to the CSO last night; what occurred to me at the time was that they needed to be turned 90 degrees to serve for the benefit of the people crossing the traffic lane, not the other way around.

Meanwhile, the suicidal pedestrians are out in force. Returning home on the same general stretch of the Dearborn lane, two bro types were walking south in the car-parking area, chatting blithely, when the one nearest me, who has his head turned 90 degrees to his left, sidesteps into the lane directly in front of me, and I body-check him since I cannot swerve quickly enough to avoid him completely. Bros continue on their bro-ly way, I stay upright.

Five minutes later, in the Kinzie PBL, two dressed-up women are chattering with total oblivion in the middle of the lane, facing me. At least they are at a stop sign, where I have to stop anyway. But despite a loud bell and one of the most blazingly bright headlights you can buy, they have no idea I am there until I am stopped a foot in front of them.

spencewine said:

The fact that they've been moved out of the bike lane probably contributes pretty highly.

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

I'm considering getting one of these for Dearborn.

Didn't someone mention AirZound earlier in this (or another) thread?  Seems like it would be a bit more practical, since you recharge it with a plain old pump.

Am I hurting cycling efforts if I do NOT use the Dearborn PBL for my loop commuting?

Turned southbound on Clark this morning instead of using Dearborn for the first time in weeks...and it felt glorious.  Moving at the speed of traffic without dodging pedestrians and motorists' contraflow (when they exit their car after parking) was a lot less stress and worry than I've had on the PBL as the weather has gotten nicer.

No one honked at me or seemed to get irritated - hopefully due to me obeying all traffic signals and working my butt off to keep with the speed and flow of traffic making sure to stay visible and to the left of turning cars.

I opt Clark most of the time.  When I want to feel euro I take the Dearborn route.

J Park said:

Am I hurting cycling efforts if I do NOT use the Dearborn PBL for my loop commuting?

Turned southbound on Clark this morning instead of using Dearborn for the first time in weeks...and it felt glorious.  Moving at the speed of traffic without dodging pedestrians and motorists' contraflow (when they exit their car after parking) was a lot less stress and worry than I've had on the PBL as the weather has gotten nicer.

No one honked at me or seemed to get irritated - hopefully due to me obeying all traffic signals and working my butt off to keep with the speed and flow of traffic making sure to stay visible and to the left of turning cars.

I ended up getting one of these for $6.

http://dx.com/p/6-alarm-sound-bicycle-horn-with-mount-black-1-6f22-...

Works really well. It makes an alarm like sound that turns heads. I use it 3-5 times every single time I ride the dearborn lane.

It's people like you, who are not riding exactly where Rahm tells us to, that are the bane of Chicago's cycling society.

Get with the program already.

;)

J Park said:

+1  I usually take LaSalle but will take Dearborn when I want a bike community kind of feeling. It has been slow but really cool lately with the warmer weather and  so many cyclists in the lane.

in it to win it 8.0 mi said:

I opt Clark most of the time.  When I want to feel euro I take the Dearborn route.

What a revolutionary concept. Bikes, pedestrians and motor vehicle users coexisting in shared space! Everyone is safer because everyone sees and expects other users to be present. But that's just heresy...

The best streets in/around/to/from the Loop don't have protected bike lanes on them (at least until they ruin Milwaukee Avenue between Kinzie and Elston). When you point out glaring shortcomings with the jury rigged bike infrastructure being built in Chicago, such as the failure to maintain, failure to adhere to any design standards refined over the years by cities which have been doing it longer than Chicago (NACTO, Amsterdam, London), failure to consider the possibility that they will increase conflict with pedestrians, motor vehicle traffic, and yes, even valets, well that's heresy too. They tell the peds, autos and bikes that the problem isn't with the design or maintenance, or the fact that they are trying to cram PBLs into constrained infrastructure which is poorly suited to accept it, no, the problem is community outreach and education.  To which I say "Bullshit!" Good design should be intuitive.

IDOT declared a moratorium on installation of PBLs on state owned roads in Chicago while they assess whether or not the ATA and CDOT mantra that these PBLs are making all road users safer, and making cycling more accessible for all. This struck me as a reasonable and measured course of action. What was the ATA response? A petition directed to Gov. Quinn (which I understand garnered 2800 "signatures") pleading with the Governor to not stand in the way of making roads safer. To which I say, "Prove it."

I went to the CDOT meeting on April 30th regarding the proposed changes to Milwaukee Avenue. This one mile stretch of road will have five different segments with varying and alternating road treatments. Buffered bike lanes, barrier protected bike lanes and protected bike lanes. Weaving in and out of rows of parked cars into and out of traffic in a one-mile stretch should make it feel like navigating a maze at a carnival. At that same meeting Comm. Klein and Ald. Burnett each stated that the design was not settled and that they were still in the process of getting input from neighbors, businesses and other road users. Well, that was fast, they started tearing up Milwaukee on Wednesday 5/15.

J Park said:

Oh. You're one of those people…

Kevin C said:

What a revolutionary concept. Bikes, pedestrians and motor vehicle users coexisting in shared space! Everyone is safer because everyone sees and expects other users to be present. But that's just heresy...

Conversely, I take La Salle whenever I want the "walking though a mine field" kind of feeling.

David Barish said:

+1  I usually take LaSalle but will take Dearborn when I want a bike community kind of feeling. It has been slow but really cool lately with the warmer weather and  so many cyclists in the lane.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service