The Chainlink

I just missed the press conference and just hung out at lunch to see how it would all work. It seemed easy enough, so I took Dearborn as my starting route home to Roscoe Village. Normally I hit Franklin to Orleans then north to Lincoln.

I have to say, it was pretty easy and relatively safe. The ambassadors were helpful with the the auto traffic. The walkers were easy enough to avoid. I had to chuckle at two riders riding side by side in the lane.

What I didn't see was any oncoming traffic; southbound riders. I am guessing that will come in time or at other times during the day.

Way to go Mayor RE! This is really making a statement.

Who else rode the new path?

Views: 17628

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In case you don't often ride in the Loop, here's a before/after video to give you a sense of what it felt like biking on Dearborn Street before the protected bike lane, and what it feels like now. It's an incredible transformation!

Dearborn Protected Bike Lane - Before and After from Active Trans on Vimeo.

- Lee Crandell, Active Trans

I plan to ride it this afternoon. can't wait!!!

Rode southbound from Kinzie to Randolph today.  There was a taxi parked just south of the hotel driveway south of Kinzie where the taxi stand used to be.  As I approached Wacker I had the green bicycle signal but several cars went through the red turn arrow.  The bike "ambassadors" on the corners are great for dealing with the pedestrians, but they can't do much about those folks disregarding the "left turn on green arrow" signs.  I think it would be good to periodically have one at the former taxi stand (and probably all former taxi stands along Dearborn) at least for a while. 

Ditto on the drainage issues--a big puddle right at the light just north of Randolph all across the southbound lane.  The fellow ahead of me and I just inched a little over to the northbound lane to get out of the water. :-)  I am reallyl more worried about that becoming ice if winter ever arrives.

I like it!

Good feedback Lisa. We've actually had the Dept. of Finance out giving tickets between Wacker and Dearborn, but we recognize that we're going to have to be vigilant there. I've chased out about 10 cabs myself since Friday and it doesn't stop them coming back. I had a guy tell me they'd have to tow him out of the lane, and that I didn't scare him.

We'll have Ambassador staff out everyday this week, and then after the holidays. We're using every available resource to do outreach.

Charlie, hasn't the cab stand just been moved to the east of the bicycle lane?  That might bring its own set of problems when the hotel whistles for the cab [;-)] but a reallly big sign might be useful.  I don't remember seeing anything that clearly designates what the cabs are supposed to do there.  And that is a popular stop so I bet there are hundreds of cab drivers that rotate through there.

Great to hear that the ambassadors will be out there for a while.  Educating everyone will not happen overnight.  I am afraid, however, that the turning against the signal problem might require actual CPD officers at least giving warnings if not tickets.

Charlie Short said:

Good feedback Lisa. We've actually had the Dept. of Finance out giving tickets between Wacker and Dearborn, but we recognize that we're going to have to be vigilant there. I've chased out about 10 cabs myself since Friday and it doesn't stop them coming back. I had a guy tell me they'd have to tow him out of the lane, and that I didn't scare him.

We'll have Ambassador staff out everyday this week, and then after the holidays. We're using every available resource to do outreach.

Thnx!

Steven Vance said:

To turn right from northbound to eastbound: proceed to the turn box on a green bicycle and orient yourself east. Wait for the eastbound light to turn green and proceed. 

Here's the video I made, riding northbound from Madison to Kinzie.

globalguy said:

Rode it also just after the press conference.  One smallish question - if going north, what's the proper procedure for turning right off of Dearborn onto any the east-bound streets.

My apologies for not recognizing the term, but what's a "turn box"?

Overall, the new bike lane is great. It's much better than my usual route riding Wells into the Loop. I do have a few minor gripes:

• There are some serious flooding issues. I had to avoid some fairly large puddles heading southbound. The bike lanes are pretty narrow, so this can cause conflicts with northbound riders.
  • The bridge is missing bollards and metal plates. I hear those will be installed soon, but for now the lane is marked off using sawhorses.
  • Pedestrians seem to be using the bike lane as an extended sidewalk. I noticed quite a few people standing or walking in the bike lane. Hopefully, this is just a carryover from when the bike lane was under construction – I saw a lot more people walking in the lane when it was closed off.
  • The bike lane on Kinzie connecting the two protected bike lanes is not yet installed. I hear this will most likely be installed next year.
  • It does not appear that a green wave is in use. This would be nice to have, but not essential.

I did not notice any motorists turning left on a red arrow, however.

Here are my thoughts after riding it yesterday with video.  You'll love the taxi at 6:59: http://www.mybikeadvocate.com/2012/12/riding-chicagos-new-dearborn-...

I hope you 311'd that cabbie!

Brendan Kevenides said:

Here are my thoughts after riding it yesterday with video.  You'll love the taxi at 6:59: http://www.mybikeadvocate.com/2012/12/riding-chicagos-new-dearborn-...

Saw the municipal police setting a great example near the Westin this afternoon:

I look forward to trying the lane out later this week. Overall it seems to be positive. Can't wait to get some first hand experience.

Hard to believe how much progress has been made so far.

In my opinion attitudes and (bad) habits will take a lot longer to change. This is IL.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service