The Chainlink

***Update: I have decided to keep & fix my bike. My dad, the jack of all trades/master of none, wants to help. I will be visiting over the holiday/new year, so we will have time to work on it. I got a new AL-wheel set/tire/tubes/etc & some (lower grade) SRAM brakes. Thanks for everything! I will be going to other shops when I need work that is out of my skill level. 

My 1984 Fuji needs a lot more work than I want to pay for. Brought for $130 - Estimated work from my LBS $330. - In insurance sense, it's totaled.

I brought this beauty from a fellow Chain-linker. I have pretty much switched to riding this bike alone. I have worked it pretty hard for the last 8-9 months.

I assume the components are original, so almost 30 years old. The 'list' of things wrong is too advanced for my wrench turning skills. 

• broken spoke (I know spokes are cheap, it is the labor & skill needed)
  • wheels need trued (again & they are steel so I seem to eat through brakes quickly too)
  • loose chain (*I was told that it would eventually 'snap')
  • suggested replacement of brakes & brake lines
  • etc, etc, etc....

So, to the point... I want your opinion. And I know you have lots!! 

Put it up for sale for parts (I don't know fair/market prices)?

Learn some new wrench turning skills & fix what I can (& pay a pro to do the rest)?

Convert to single speed? (I already own a wonderful single speed, I don't really need another.)

Break out of my comfort zone and get estimates at other (not so local) LBS?

Views: 567

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks to everyone!! I have decided to fix it up and keep it.

My Dad used to race BMX-style bikes in the 80s (Jack of all trades, Master of none!) and I will be spending about 2 weeks with my family over the holiday, he wants to help me fix it up. So, I will get that wonderful Daddy-Daughter time and learn some more skills. (However, in exchange I am sure I will have to help with his motorcycle! Ha!)

I have placed an order for a new wheel set and all the fixings. I am looking into new brakes/brake system now. And love suggestions!!

Go with the original offer of help by william (or other wrenchers on the thread).  Watch and learn.  Maybe buy him a cup of coffee.  $330 sounds sort of like, "We really don't want to do this work, how about you buy this other bike instead?"

Not all local bike shops are created equal either.  If you decide to pay a shop, ask a couple more for estimates.

Which wheelset did you buy? You could be in for a world of pain upgrading an older bike with newer components. Not that it can't be done, but you're better off getting some help by someone experienced with such things. For example, the rear spacing on your frame is likely 126mm, while the new wheelset is almost certainly 130mm. Could be a non-issue, or you might need to spread the frame to accept the wider hubs. Axle size might also be an issue, your old rear axle is probably 9.5mm, new axles are 10mm. Might be a non-issue, or you might need to file out the dropouts to fit the new axle.

The spacing issues are just the tip of the iceberg. The drivetrain will likely have some incompatibilities with whatever cassette you can fit on the new wheelset.

My advice would have been to see if you can avoid buying new wheels, focus on doing brake pads, cables and housing, and chain/cogset replacement.

Jenn_W said:

My Dad used to race BMX-style bikes in the 80s (Jack of all trades, Master of none!) and I will be spending about 2 weeks with my family over the holiday, he wants to help me fix it up. So, I will get that wonderful Daddy-Daughter time and learn some more skills. (However, in exchange I am sure I will have to help with his motorcycle! Ha!)

I have placed an order for a new wheel set and all the fixings. I am looking into new brakes/brake system now. And love suggestions!!

My dad took charge of ordering the wheel set. So I am not sure!?! I guess it is something we will really have to look at when I get there. (I should make a list of things that might not work, so I know what to check!)

Will V. said:

Which wheelset did you buy? You could be in for a world of pain upgrading an older bike with newer components. Not that it can't be done, but you're better off getting some help by someone experienced with such things. For example, the rear spacing on your frame is likely 126mm, while the new wheelset is almost certainly 130mm. Could be a non-issue, or you might need to spread the frame to accept the wider hubs. Axle size might also be an issue, your old rear axle is probably 9.5mm, new axles are 10mm. Might be a non-issue, or you might need to file out the dropouts to fit the new axle.

The spacing issues are just the tip of the iceberg. The drivetrain will likely have some incompatibilities with whatever cassette you can fit on the new wheelset.

My advice would have been to see if you can avoid buying new wheels, focus on doing brake pads, cables and housing, and chain/cogset replacement.

Jenn_W said:

No offense but this is terrible advice.  I upgrade the wheelsets on old bikes like this all of the time and there are plenty of wheels out there that have the proper spacing and axle to fit bikes like this as well as accept the drive train parts that match the rest of the bike.  ANY time you swap rear wheels there is a good chance that shifting will have to be fine tuned.

There is no tip of the iceberg because there is no iceberg; as long as the correct wheel is ordered there should be no issue in swapping the wheels out.

Advising against upgrading the wheels on a steel rimmed bike is doing the rider a disservice; the decrease in weight and increase in braking make the bike not only more enjoyable but SAFER to ride.

Will V. said:

Jenn_W said:

Fair enough, but you're assuming the correct wheelset and hubs were ordered. And we've already established at least originally, the bike had alloy, not steel rims. I bet the rims are alloy.

notoriousDUG said:

No offense but this is terrible advice.  I upgrade the wheelsets on old bikes like this all of the time and there are plenty of wheels out there that have the proper spacing and axle to fit bikes like this as well as accept the drive train parts that match the rest of the bike.  ANY time you swap rear wheels there is a good chance that shifting will have to be fine tuned.

There is no tip of the iceberg because there is no iceberg; as long as the correct wheel is ordered there should be no issue in swapping the wheels out.

Advising against upgrading the wheels on a steel rimmed bike is doing the rider a disservice; the decrease in weight and increase in braking make the bike not only more enjoyable but SAFER to ride.

Will V. said:

Jenn_W said:

BTW, I totally agree that if the bike has steel rims, it's worth the upgrade, with the right parts. My advice was based on the assumption that the LBS told her the rims were steel, or she assumed the rims were steel, and that info was incorrect based on the specs in the Fuji catalog I posted earlier in this thread, and also based on the supposition that she might very well have accidentally ordered a set of wheels with a modern Shimano cassette freehub, in the absence of specific guidance from someone knowledgeable.

notoriousDUG said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service