The Chainlink

Ghost bike placement September 2nd 2013 for Cyclist killed by motorist at 135th & Ridgeland

On June 11th Brian McDevitt took a day off work as a Chicago Policeman to spend time with his family. In the afternoon he went for a ride on the Palos path. When crossing the intersection of 135th & Ridgeland he was struck by a vehicle making a left turn. He laid in a coma at Advocate Christ Hospital for 10 days and passed away succumbing to his injuries on June 21st 2013. He would have turned 31 the following week.
Brian leaves behind his wife and two small children.
Brian was a decorated officer of the CPD earning many awards in the short time he was on the force. A great family man and avid cyclist and always had a smile on his face that will be truly missed.
We're placing a ghost bike at the scene and hope motorists will get a message from it and take more care. My wife rides this path and almost got hit several times if not for being extra cautious
We're calling this for 4:00 pm and all are welcome
Thank you so much for reading this and stay safe out there

This is the newspaper article
http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/20887577-522/bicyclist-dies-10-da...

Thanks again and God Bless

Views: 2558

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for doing this, Bert.

Peace. Hope to see you there.

h' 1.0 said:

Thank you for doing this, Bert.

Brian seemed like an all-around nice guy. Sorry about your loss. Thanks for putting up a ghostbike. if you haven't done so yet, you can make this an event here so it shows up in the calendar.

Thanks Duppie he was. Even the criminals on the east side liked him. They called him white lighning cuz he always caught one running away. Biking paid off there.

Thanks for the calendar tip. I will 

Bert, sad post but still glad your bringing this to our attention. I'll be there with you when this ghost bike is installed. May it be the last.

Sad for sure Ken. If there was any accountability I think we'd be safer

If anyone has any tips to share this is our first time, and hopefully last

Thank you for doing the ghost bike installation and for telling us. These losses are never easy, but they're worse when it was one of the good guys. Take care and stay safe.

Thanks for your kind words Ann.
All the best and safe biking

Fellow chainlink'rs can you help out here? What should a Ghost Bike installation look like?  A moment of silence? A few somber words? A celebration of a life now gone? What should/could be done to honor a fallen rider and also to help remind all the rest of us to be careful out there? I really want to know how this should be done and I know that Bert wants to do right by his friend Brian.

Thanks Ken. Also we are considering a procession on bikes from Brian's house to the site with the ghost bike on a trailer. After I get the ok from his wife I post a meeting location so all that would like to join please do

There are a few authorities on this topic on the chainlink (see h' 1.0 above), and I'm not one of them, but I have been to a few ghost bike installations and dedications. Every one I've been to, the bike is installed a day or so in advance. The family and friends take the lead with respect to any ceremony. If they want a procession to the site, if they want a eulogy, if they want people to take turns with remembrances about the deceased, that's all up to them. There's really no wrong way to conduct the ceremony-whatever's meaningful to the attendees who knew the deceased.   

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service