The Chainlink

Anyone know if it's planned for this year? If so, when?

Views: 1390

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This sounds excellent. Count me in!

I've never been to Milwaukee, but don't have too much of a preference. I have a friend in Madison.

Biggest issue with Madison is Amtrak doesn't run on Sunday back to Chicago. Unless you wanted to ride both ways, but that doesn't give people much of an option on the way back unless we have someone who could drive and carry the bikes.

Amtrak doesn't run to Madison period, I don't think.  May be able to stow it under a bus if your lucky.

Adam "Cezar" Jenkins said:

I've never been to Milwaukee, but don't have too much of a preference. I have a friend in Madison.

Biggest issue with Madison is Amtrak doesn't run on Sunday back to Chicago. Unless you wanted to ride both ways, but that doesn't give people much of an option on the way back unless we have someone who could drive and carry the bikes.

Normally we ride both ways. There is no Amtrak Service to Madison, but the Van Galder bus runs frequently from the UW campus and accepts unboxed bikes. Amtrak has frequent Sunday service from Milwaukee. You have to buy a box but the sell them at the station.

As long as there's an "escape route". I don't mind riding both ways.

I'd like to join in on this fun. I've never done a century before, so I'm not sure what to expect. My longest rides thus far have only been 65 and 50 miles, will I bonk out before 100?

Also, I'm game for anything, but really like the city of Milwaukee. My wife and I frequent their zoo and other cultural places of interest.

Back when I did a Milwaukee ride a few years ago we took a Coach USA bus from Milwaukee to Kenosha and then took Metra back.  The bus didn't make us box the bikes, we just stowed them underneath.  I'm not sure if all drivers would be as accommodating.  Bus + Metra option is easier in my opinion.

John Greenfield said:

Normally we ride both ways. There is no Amtrak Service to Madison, but the Van Galder bus runs frequently from the UW campus and accepts unboxed bikes. Amtrak has frequent Sunday service from Milwaukee. You have to buy a box but the sell them at the station.

The distance from the Zion Metra station to MKE is about 45 miles each way. I think that's how you get there-and-back in 100 miles.

Let me know what you decide Captain. I have a few people from down here who want to come.

Is there any more concrete news on this ride? This Saturday marks exactly 2 weeks from the proposed ride, so I'd hope things start to firm up.

Last year was awesome!  Looks like I will be out of town every weekend in March for work though...  I hope to see some pictures!

We'll meet on March 17 at the food court of the Ogilvie Center, 500 W. Madison, at 7:30 am and catch the 8:30 Metra train to Harvard (capacity 20 bikes), arriving at 10:20, then pedal about 75 miles to downtown Madison, WI. Sunday we'll bike back to Harvard and catch the 6:35 or 8:35 pm train, arriving at Ogilvie at 8:23 or 10:23 pm. I'll put up a full calendar listing on the CL later today.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service