The Chainlink

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-12-04/news/chi-atheists-agn...

Now what about the other 25 letters of the alphabet that have absolutely no say in this matter? Blatant discrimination. Granted, putting all the letters of the alphabet on display at Daley Plaza would be over the top, but we can get around this problem by adding "to Z" after this display. Now we've got everybody covered all the way up to and including the Zoroastrians. 

Maybe we can co-ordinate this redress of grievances with the next Critical Mass ride on December 27, but I'm afraid that would be too late in the game to serve justice. Also, keep in mind that the CBS news studios are right across the street. This would be a terrific news event. I know a good reporter there and we can tip him off in advance. We'll be viral superstars as well as making a statement for tolerance. I think John Stewart said it best: “Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion.”

Lets set a date (soon). It shouldn't be too hard to get together the necessary props.

Views: 464

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At risk of starting a flame war, I really hope that the group that put up the A doesn't go to holiday parties or exchange gifts other than for Birthdays, Anniversaries, Accomplishments, or just because. Also by putting that up aren't they acknowledging these religions? Maybe I'm confusing Atheists with Nihilists. But whatever let them waste money on this. At least come up with a more interesting symbol.

What about considering the winter solstice a holiday? Or just living in a blatantly materialistic society where buying random items to give to people is considered polite and not doing so is considered rude? As for the scarlet letter at Daley Plaza it is meant to start a discussion, plain and simple.

Also, saying "I would love to go to your Holiday party but I'm an Atheist and your beliefs are silly to me so no I won't go." - Doesn't make friends but throwing in a gift for whatever exchange does. Spoiler alert: I typically choose alcohol as the gift. ;)


Davo said:

At risk of starting a flame war, I really hope that the group that put up the A doesn't go to holiday parties or exchange gifts other than for Birthdays, Anniversaries, Accomplishments, or just because. Also by putting that up aren't they acknowledging these religions? Maybe I'm confusing Atheists with Nihilists. But whatever let them waste money on this. At least come up with a more interesting symbol.

I agree with you. Maybe in time the A can mean to people what the other symbols mean to people now. Especially because the other symbols incorporate pagen symbols from before their time



Eric R said:

What about considering the winter solstice a holiday? Or just living in a blatantly materialistic society where buying random items to give to people is considered polite and not doing so is considered rude? As for the scarlet letter at Daley Plaza it is meant to start a discussion, plain and simple.

Also, saying "I would love to go to your Holiday party but I'm an Atheist and your beliefs are silly to me so no I won't go." - Doesn't make friends but throwing in a gift for whatever exchange does. Spoiler alert: I typically choose alcohol as the gift. ;)


Davo said:

At risk of starting a flame war, I really hope that the group that put up the A doesn't go to holiday parties or exchange gifts other than for Birthdays, Anniversaries, Accomplishments, or just because. Also by putting that up aren't they acknowledging these religions? Maybe I'm confusing Atheists with Nihilists. But whatever let them waste money on this. At least come up with a more interesting symbol.

Hey Eric, Bring over a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label and I'll be more than happy to celebrate whatever event you have in mind.

Eric R said:

.... Spoiler alert: I typically choose alcohol as the gift. ;)



Ha. More like Jameson if it is a party. The blue label stays at home- if I ever spend that much on a bottle of whisky.
Festivus for the rest of us.

(Sidenote: this new(?) mobile setup is pretty nice.)

Let the airing of grievances begin!


Jameson is good stuff. Dominick's used to have them on special if you buy two, but that's another story.... I'm curious about the mobile setup you mentioned. Particularly this time of year, it'd be very handy to get near real time updates on travel conditions targeted specifically to winter bike road warriors.


Eric R said:

Ha. More like Jameson if it is a party. The blue label stays at home- if I ever spend that much on a bottle of whisky.
Festivus for the rest of us.

(Sidenote: this new(?) mobile setup is pretty nice.)

Yes, if you don't pray to a god you surely means you hate people and want to see everything destroyed.

Davo said:

At risk of starting a flame war, I really hope that the group that put up the A doesn't go to holiday parties or exchange gifts other than for Birthdays, Anniversaries, Accomplishments, or just because. Also by putting that up aren't they acknowledging these religions? Maybe I'm confusing Atheists with Nihilists.

Satanists seek spot next to Ten Commandments monument on steps of Oklahoma's Statehouse:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/08/satanists-seek-spot-next-to-te...

What? No representation for the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

May You Be Covered In Sauce!

I just find it funny that they are lumping agnostics and atheists together.  Atheists, IMO, make just as big a leap of faith/belief as christians. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2008-2013   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C. Julie Hochstadter, Director   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service