The Chainlink

I don't have much information other than what's in the story:

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2012/12/04/bicyclist-struck-by-truck-...

Thursday, someone who knows the rider posted on a local FB page that he was still in ICU.

This happened 2 blocks from us and we go through that intersection virtually every day whether driving, walking, or biking. In fact, my daughter and I passed through there on our tandem shortly before this happened.  It is one of my least favorite intersections to ride or walk through. The City of Berwyn installed a red light camera there due to the high number of accidents, but it only monitors 26th street, not East Avenue.

Thoughts and prayers for a complete recovery

Vince

Views: 6309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Life flashed before me" is a bit dramatic, but the driver's life would certainly have changed had he hit the cyclist.

The cyclist sounds like a moron from the Berwynite's description.

Will V. said:

This is choice, on the Berwyntalk site.

And, BTW -- recently a bike rider nearly ran right into my moving vehicle on Longcommon Road as he carelessly swerved scarily close to passenger side; not only was he texting while cycling -- he was plugged into his IPod thingie which likely prevented hm from hearing me disgrace myself with some choice words directed his way.  Oh, and it was during the evening - and he had absolutely no reflective gear on himself or the bike.  About the only thing I really saw was the light from his phone until we both got under one of the few -- and very dim -- streetlights in Riverside.  MFer caused my life to flash before me -- but, of course, I got the finger vs. an apology.

Not condoning swerving unexpectedly, using headphones, not having lights and reflectors, or giving the finger, but a cyclist almost "hit" this motorist, and the motorists life flashed before his eyes? Huh?

Or not. Seems like most drivers, even when they're at fault, don't experience too many repercussions from hitting cyclists.

Juan Primo said:

"Life flashed before me" is a bit dramatic, but the driver's life would certainly have changed had he hit the cyclist.

Seriously. In Justin's case, a traffic citation was issued. That's usually about the worst that happens, if it happens at all. 

Will V. said:

Or not. Seems like most drivers, even when they're at fault, don't experience too many repercussions from hitting cyclists.

Juan Primo said:

I don't do Facebook so it would be great if anyone is willing to post updates on his progress here.

One would think that Librarians of all people would recognize that Facebook is not the internet and treating it as such is doing harm to the free flow of information.

h' said:

I don't do Facebook so it would be great if anyone is willing to post updates on his progress here.

No facebook.

Not sure what you mean, but his wife isn't a librarian and she's the one who set it up, so...

Tony Adams said:

One would think that Librarians of all people would recognize that Facebook is not the internet and treating it as such is doing harm to the free flow of information.

h' said:

OK, so it sounds like it would be appreciated on multiple counts if those who do monitor the Facebook page might be willing to cross-post to this thread.

I'll keep this thread updated.

h' said:

OK, so it sounds like it would be appreciated on multiple counts if those who do monitor the Facebook page might be willing to cross-post to this thread.

Allison, I can't get out to that library branch to donate in person- is there an address I can send a check to and who should it be made out to? Sorry if this info is already in the thread and I'm overlooking it. I'd really like to help to whatever extent i can.

Oh. Sorry. Sloppy reading on my part I guess. Thanks for your efforts to keep this thread updated.

Allison Mackey said:

Not sure what you mean, but his wife isn't a librarian and she's the one who set it up, so...

Tony Adams said:

h' said:

Hi Anne--Yes, thank you for bringing it up. You can mail a check made out to Kim Carver (his wife) to:

Allison Mackey
Stickney-Forest View Public Library 
6800 W 43rd. St
Stickney, IL 60402

Thank you

Anne B. said:

Allison, I can't get out to that library branch to donate in person- is there an address I can send a check to and who should it be made out to? Sorry if this info is already in the thread and I'm overlooking it. I'd really like to help to whatever extent i can.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service