The Chainlink

Cyclist doored, struck has fractured skull and 23 broken ribs but is OK; hit-and-run driver still at large

It was a perfect storm of factors that are all too common when Chicago bicyclists are injured or killed by cars. Dustin Valenta, 27, a delivery biker, yoga teacher and actor was commuting in Wicker Park when a driver opened her door on him, throwing him into traffic. As he lay in the road, another motorist stuck him and then fled the scene.

Valenta suffered a fractured skull, broken pelvis, 23 cracked ribs and a punctured lung but he miraculously survived and is currently alert and in good spirits. The question remains: why would a driver who accidentally struck someone already lying in the road not stop to give aid? Valenta's family is currently working to bring the hit-and-run motorist to justice: http://chi.streetsblog.org/2013/02/14/cyclist-doored-then-struck-hit-and-run-driver-still-at-large/

Friends have set up donation sites to help cover medical expenses for Valenta, who is uninsured, at Go Fund Me and Give Forward. Cut Cats Courier and Johnny Sprockets bike shop are organizing a benefit event for late February or early March, probably at Bangers and Lace tavern.

Views: 4632

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just talked to New Affairs again. They clarified that the responding officers did fill out the Illinois Crash Report on the day of the incident, but they failed to report the crash to the Major Accidents Investigation Unit.

CPD dropped the ball, what a surprise.

So, what exactly would we expect of police in terms of a "search?" Can whatever goals we have here in trying to find the driver be met to some extent via grass-roots effort and crowd-sourcing?

Ugggggh.  CPD - get it together!

That makes more sense, John.  Illinois Motorist report means there was a crash report.

What is bad about not having called major accident is that any evidence that might have been there was not recovered. 

To Howard's question, I am a dinosaur and have no idea what "crowd-sourcing" means, but any activity MUST NOT interfere with Mike's investigation.  As well-intentioned as everyone is, an inadvertent mis-step could cause a great deal of difficulty even possibly losing an opportunity for him to talk with a witness.  What we can do is keep eyes and ears open and pass along any information to Mike without launching individual investigations.  I live very close to the crash scene, and I will be keeping my eyes open for any truck that remotely resembles the one in the video.  If it was a fleet truck, there is a good chance that the business regularly has trucks in the neighborhood.

John Greenfield said:

I just talked to New Affairs again. They clarified that the responding officers did fill out the Illinois Crash Report on the day of the incident, but they failed to report the crash to the Major Accidents Investigation Unit.

Lisa, I live just around the corner and I'm also keeping an eye out for a similar vehicle but...

This person MUST know they ran someone over, so I'm assuming they wouldn't continue driving down the same street around the same time?  I'm thinking alternate routes like Damen and Ashland might be good streets to watch, too.  I get the feeling there is a reason this person did not want to stick around and wait for CPD to arrive.

Crowd-sourcing is what Mike did when he posted the images and solicited input on the make/model of the vehicle. Or what would happen if he asked us to look out for such a vehicle via a message board post.

Would definitely want to follow specific instructions from Mike as to how to or how not to "help."

(Was really kind of directing the question at him.)

Ah, thank you!

h' 1.0 said:

Crowd-sourcing is what Mike did when he posted the images and solicited input on the make/model of the vehicle. Or what would happen if he asked us to look out for such a vehicle via a message board post.

Would definitely want to follow specific instructions from Mike as to how to or how not to "help."

(Was really kind of directing the question at him.)

REMINDER: Charitable fundraiser for Dustin Valenta is today. Starts and 2pm and runs into the night with a Raffle at 9pm.

The Tiny Fix raised $1,211 this weekend at our bake sale! Thank you so much to anyone who came out and loaded up on cookies.

Also, one of the girls says she just visited Dustin in the hospital and he's up and walking around.

I'll be at the fundraiser tonight at B&L, Tiny Fix is donating a couple of prize bags for the raffle. Come say hi if you're there too!

Just got a copy of the crash report. Bizarrely, the reporting officer cited the driver who doored Dustin with failure to yield to an equestrian. CPD, stop horsing around!

http://chi.streetsblog.org/2013/03/01/driver-who-doored-valenta-cit...

Dustin's lawyer says the attorney for the City of Chicago will probably correct the charges against Jeanne Quinn.

That's a lot of personal information that just became public.  Reminds me to drive safer before Casa Primo becomes a national landmark!

I noticed the witness is Mark Vanecko.  Perhaps he's Mark Vanecko, the brother of Richard Vanecko who seems to have killed a suburban man while partying, and the brother of Robert Vanecko who seems to have invested City money in a really bad real estate deal.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service