The Chainlink

As the number bike commuters increase with the warmer weather, I can't help but notice more people cutting partially through the 6-way intersections before their respective light turns green. I admit that this was something I frequently did in the past (and still occasionally do at particularly dangerous intersections) but have largely stopped as I perceive it to have little, if any benefit. Since I've started waiting for the light to turn green before going ahead, I'm now passing 9 out of 10 people who try to cut through early (which typically puts me further into car traffic in order to make a safe pass). I mentioned my frustration to a commuter buddy a couple of days ago and she commented that she'd recently started doing this because she'd seen others doing the same thing.

Is this something you do and if so, why?

Is there any polite way to encourage people not to cut the intersections?

Views: 1074

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OTOH, the more I ride my bike as if it were a car, the more respect and tolerance I get from the drivers. Not such a big deal in the city of Chicago, but it makes a significant difference to MY safety riding in the NW suburbs. Yes, like most cyclists, I can rationalize the laws I am willing to bend vs the ones I adhere to, but it has nothing to do with the possibility of getting a ticket, it has to do with not annoying someone wielding the controls of a lethal weapon. If I get home a few minutes later, big deal. IMHO, If I ever get hit deliberately by a car, it will be because of what some other cyclist did to that car a mile up the road. 

Well, we're both here typing so it's clear that our rules have brought us home safe each night, different as they may be. That's what is important.

Ding!  Ding!  We have a winner!

Barclor said:

Well, we're both here typing so it's clear that our rules have brought us home safe each night, different as they may be. That's what is important.

I agree with you - safest and quickest to stop in front of all vehicle traffic and wait for the light to turn green, then go straight across the intersection.  At least on Lincoln Avenue, where I have the most experience cycling.  

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service