The Chainlink

This is an insane hike!  As someone who works for a non-profit, this is an outrageous expense for me.  In winter months I find it unbearable to ride my bike to work, but it appears riding a bike is quickly becoming the more reasonable way to travel, despite comfort. 

Is it just me, or is Chicago becoming way too expensive to live comfortably in?  I just had to downsize to a studio because I could no longer afford my 1 bedroom. 

Ah, inflation....

Views: 1888

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

???

I see "poor people" in large quantities whenever I use transit, which is several times a week, and with almost no exceptions they either pay with cash or a single fare card.  Rarely do I see anyone with anything else.

Anyways, the sudden rallying around theoretical poor people whenever there's talk of a fare hike is extremely tired and perpetuates the idea that transit is something one resorts to when one does not have the financial means to travel some other way.

Will V. said:

Oh, I get it. Because all those poor people who take the CTA might otherwise drive their luxury cars to their minimum wage jobs.

h' said:

I'm no fan of Emmanuel but the point that he's trying to make, in Daley-esque elegance, is that CTA is still the more attractive option. 

Holly said:

I'm sure you've all read or heard what the Mayor had to say about the fare hike. "You can either drive to work or you can take public transportation,...

Because his intent is not to seriously promote driving but to make a coy remark to the effect that the people affected by the fare hike by and large will still find CTA to be the best option.

Carrie said:

Why doesn't he suggest the good ole foot to pavement or the bike? 

Holly said:

I'm sure you've all read or heard what the Mayor had to say about the fare hike. "You can either drive to work or you can take public transportation,...

Speaking from experience, sarcasm never shows up properly in a written transcript, and in extreme examples, can even appear to be in direct opposition to what the verbal statement attempted to communicate.

h' said:

Because his intent is not to seriously promote driving but to make a coy remark to the effect that the people affected by the fare hike by and large will still find CTA to be the best option.

Carrie said:

Why doesn't he suggest the good ole foot to pavement or the bike? 

Holly said:

maybe we can carpool with Rahm and share the gas expenses,,,and have a driver on top of it!

My family and I rarely use the CTA any more. We used it quite a bit right after they totaled our car 2 yrs ago...(waiting for the lawyers to hack things out). It made us reconsider how many unnecessary trips we were making. (even though we did sometimes just go out to sight see).

We are inconvenienced now because we want to go out to the woods for hikes and such, but the CTA doesn't go out to these places (Maple Lake, Swallow Cliff, etc) or it takes us 2 hours to get there (Kedzie & Archer to Red Line, Red line to Addison or Irving Park, Addison or Irving Park to Cumberland-Shiller Woods), and going by bike with a 9 yr old (that just learned to ride again - this time on a 20") isn't very practical.

Too many people waiting longer for the fewer buses out on the routes we use most frequently.

We can walk from Kedzie to Pulaski (on Archer) before we see a bus going towards Midway, so our interaction is minimal nowadays.

And so far, I have been riding my bike to and from work since May (i think), maybe earlier, i have not used the CTA since.

The "Fun Pass" was a very affordable item. We buy the pass, go where we need to go, and come back home, all for just under $6.

Now we will be expected to pay $10 for the same crappy service? Not to mention the shitty and un-friendly "customer service" from the bus drivers? If they are so miserable at their $20/hr plus jobs...maybe they need to quit and find something that they can be happy at.

All the more reason to ride a bike.
Bear in mind that the state of Illinois is the most corrupt state and Chicago is the third most corrupt city. C'mon Chicago. You can do better than that. You need to be the most corrupt city in the most corrupt state.

Firstly, can the OP change the thread title to $86 just to be accurate?

Secondly, I've done the math and it makes sense for me to switch to single fare going forward.  Wish it wasn't that way but it is.

Thirdly, the CTA doesn't care because there's no incentive for them to subsidize more riders.  They could get a million riders more per day and be in an even deeper hole since transit funding in the region is not at all based on ridership.

Fourthly, the proposed fare increase is a way for the CTA to spin "no fare increase, just a decrease in the discount for the passes".  Sucks, but it's true.

Fifthly, Rahm is an asshole.  Might as well use the same logic and say "Chicago's too expensive?  You can always move to Lockport."

We need to start getting mad on behalf of CTA, not at CTA.  Although reading comments from people who rarely use it and don't understand how it's funded and why it has the problems it has is more painful than the usual "the Mayor sucks" rants.

Have you tried being nice to the bus drivers? How about a well meant "good morning!" when you enter? They are the first words I say when entering a bus. The last words before I exit are typically "Thank you. Have a good day!". I hardly ever meet unfriendlly bus drivers.

I am going to take a guess and say that those two things are related.

Manny Fuentes said:

Not to mention the shitty and un-friendly "customer service" from the bus drivers? If they are so miserable at their $20/hr plus jobs...maybe they need to quit and find something that they can be happy at.

+1

Transit is expensive.  It costs a lot of money to run our, in my opinion, great transit system.  The cost of other forms of transportation has increased (car, train, airfare) with inflation, and the CTA shouldn't be an exception.  

Its nice to get a price break on things, and there are some trips that the CTA doesn't make as much sense, but by and large being able for me to the get many places via the L in the same amount of time as driving is pretty impressive.  

I have an automatic deposit in the Chicago card account of $45/mo year round.  Since I don't ride in the summer my account accumulates and then when I ride daily in the winter it goes back down.  For me this makes more sense than buying the monthly for the 2 or 3 months a years that I have more rides than the cost of the single fare.  When I first went car free the cost of the monthly pass was equivalent to what the increased monthly pass will be from a number of rides standpoint.  

h' said:

We need to start getting mad on behalf of CTA, not at CTA.  Although reading comments from people who rarely use it and don't understand how it's funded and why it has the problems it has is more painful than the usual "the Mayor sucks" rants.

Ooooh, I like this solution. 

Liz said:

+1

Transit is expensive.  It costs a lot of money to run our, in my opinion, great transit system.  The cost of other forms of transportation has increased (car, train, airfare) with inflation, and the CTA shouldn't be an exception.  

Its nice to get a price break on things, and there are some trips that the CTA doesn't make as much sense, but by and large being able for me to the get many places via the L in the same amount of time as driving is pretty impressive.  

I have an automatic deposit in the Chicago card account of $45/mo year round.  Since I don't ride in the summer my account accumulates and then when I ride daily in the winter it goes back down.  For me this makes more sense than buying the monthly for the 2 or 3 months a years that I have more rides than the cost of the single fare.  When I first went car free the cost of the monthly pass was equivalent to what the increased monthly pass will be from a number of rides standpoint.  

h' said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service