The Chainlink

'Biking while black': Chicago minority areas see the most bike tickets

Okay as the article points out there are lots of potential explanations for this but not a single North side area listed in the top ticked areas?

As Chicago police ramp up their ticketing of bicyclists, more than twice as many citations are being written in African-American communities than in white or Latino areas, a Tribune review of police statistics has found.

The top 10 community areas for bike tickets from 2008 to Sept. 22, 2016, include seven that are majority African-American and three that are majority Latino. From the areas with the most tickets written to the least, they are Austin, North Lawndale, Humboldt Park, South Lawndale, Chicago Lawn, West Englewood, Roseland, West Garfield Park, New City and South Chicago.

Not a single majority-white area ranked in the top 10, despite biking's popularity in white areas such as West Town and Lincoln Park."

Read full article at the Tribune site...

Views: 2547

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Perhaps this has been said, but what of the ratio of police to civilians in the white areas versus the black/colored areas of the city?

I know the NW side alderman were uppity a while back due to an undermanned 16th district police station, but then you look at the Harrison, Austin, or Englewood districts (the city's bloodiest last year) and I'd venture to say they aren't short of cops. Perhaps there is a further correlation between the ratio of cops to tickets per capita.

The side discussion of WHY there is higher crime in those districts is too in-depth for a simple ticket thread but we all know it is there and ingrained in society.

colored?

yeah, dude, seriously no, change that RN, communities of color is not that hard to get right

+1

After reading these comments about "Biking While Black" it appears that there appears to be a bit of consensus that the Chicago Police Department is using the "reason" of riding on the sidewalk as a policy to stop and ticket blacks. Do you feel that this replaces the "stop and frisk" policy that the City of Chicago had in effect until they were sued by the ACLU? 

In my opinion that what's occurring, and I feel that a class action suit against the Chicago Police Department and the City of Chicago should be considered. How do you feel about it?

The Chicago Tribune stated that all bicyclists who break the law should be ticketed and I agree. During my rides across the city I see cyclists on the north side breaking numerous traffic laws while the police just watch.

The effect of this policy and the lack of a biking infrastructure discourages residents in the affected communities from riding bicycles and these communities really can use the benefits that biking provides.

"Do you feel that this replaces the "stop and frisk" policy that the City of Chicago had in effect until they were sued by the ACLU? "

Yes.

A class action suit might be an effective way to respond to this institutionalized racism.

your link connects to the original Trib piece. Reader story:

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/black-cyclists-fight-racial-pr...

Thanks for catching that.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service