The Chainlink

Hello I would like to know if anyone has ever done a bike trip from Chicago to Milwaukee and if you have any advice and tips. Thanks. 

Views: 20535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did a circle tour that took me to Muskegon.  The ferry was definitely a highlight.  There is another trail that picks up near the end of the Musketawa, but it ends mid-city and it gets a little confusing riding through Muskegon.  Did you check out the prison yard from the trail?

Here's one approaching Milwaukee:

Joe TV said:

I made the round trip in 6 days - 3 days out (south of the lake) and 3 days back (by way of Muskegon and ferry).  Most days were @ 100 miles.  The ride from Detroit (actually Ann Arbor) to Muskegon is pretty nice!  Specifically I did that in 2 days, ending in Milwaukee.  I rode south of Lansing which is a lot of rural farm roads, relatively nice riding, light traffic, clean air, mostly flat . . . I spent a night with a friend in Grand Rapids, and then headed for the Museketawa trail, which I definitely recommend.  It will take you most of the way between GR and Muskegon.  Riding through Muskegon to the lakefront was not a highlight, but the ferry ride was enjoyable.  

magomawe said:
Thanks for the photos.  How long did it take for you to bike to Detroit and then back to Muskegon?  Is it a ride you'd recommend?

Joe TV said:

some photos of the route I took from Mil to Chi can be found here: (part of a set of a trip to Detroit and back)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jknecht/3575409805/in/set-721576188798...

Any trail is better than riding thru Muskegon.  Less than awesome.  And yes, I've seen the prison.  I made sure not to pick up an hitchhikers.  *rim shot*

I remember the first time I ever rode that trail when I lived in Grand Rapids.  The whole way out was into a stiff headwind.  I was getting exhausted, and all that kept me going was the thought of a nice lunch and a few cold bears in Muskegon before I turned back around.  Imagine my dismay when I finally reached the end of the trail and saw no restaurants, no people, no nothing.  Only this: 

Extreme caloric deficit is how I would describe the way I felt.  And thirsty.  Nothing but water would do.  I finally reached a gas station a mile off the trail and 10 or 15 miles back and bought a ton of plastic sealed food.  I remember the gatorade being okay, but it wasn't water.  I wanted water.  and lots.  

I also learned what it feels like to be in Electrolyte deficit on the multi-state ride.  Complete lack of energy.  Not exhausted, exactly, just no energy.  In those situations, Gatorade is a miracle.  I went through a lot of powdered gatorade (with water, of course) on this trip.

JeffB said:

I did a circle tour that took me to Muskegon.  The ferry was definitely a highlight.  There is another trail that picks up near the end of the Musketawa, but it ends mid-city and it gets a little confusing riding through Muskegon.  Did you check out the prison yard from the trail?

I've been there too.  Plus I'm diabetic, so I have to watch out for extreme low blood sugars too.  I've been on long rides where I stop for lunch, take a low dose of insulin, and eat two entrees plus dessert,, and still start crashing on the trail.  Gatorade's a life saver when you literally have no room to eat more food.  But for the most part I stick with adding sugar-free electrolyte tablets (like Nuun) to my water.  That and an 80oz Camelbak reservoir make a HUGE difference on all-day rides.

Joe TV said:

Extreme caloric deficit is how I would describe the way I felt.  And thirsty.  Nothing but water would do.  I finally reached a gas station a mile off the trail and 10 or 15 miles back and bought a ton of plastic sealed food.  I remember the gatorade being okay, but it wasn't water.  I wanted water.  and lots.  

I also learned what it feels like to be in Electrolyte deficit on the multi-state ride.  Complete lack of energy.  Not exhausted, exactly, just no energy.  In those situations, Gatorade is a miracle.  I went through a lot of powdered gatorade (with water, of course) on this trip.

SCOTT : Can I ask you some more questions about this?

Scott said:
was just looking the Wrigley 100 in Aug.... here is the route
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/19195964

If you ever need someone to ride with...I would do it..(average 15mph)
I do this ride once a year.  use the LFP to sheridan, take that to WI.  There is a road/highway with a large median you can take to milwaukee.  good luck!  great ride

We're thinking about biking to a little north of Milwaukee this weekend. Google maps says it will take just over 8 hours but not sure how true that will be. Anyone have general input on how long this ride takes for a rider who is neither slow nor fast (vague, I know, but I don't have a good sense of my relative speed) and making only a few stops along the way?

Any general advice/encouragement for my first ~100 mile ride is appreciated! I should have trained more for this but this may be my only chance this summer to do this. 

Memorable most enjoyable ride with complete strangers.

flores said:

Here's a route(google maps) we used 3 years ago when a group here went, fun ride.

So what is Sheridan like above Ft. Sheridan? One poster says to avoid it (esp through Zion). Is it quality of street, amount of traffic, no shoulder, or all of the above?

Anne A realistic average is probably like 12mph. I'd add at least three  20-30minute rest periods in the ride too.

Anne B. said:

We're thinking about biking to a little north of Milwaukee this weekend. Google maps says it will take just over 8 hours but not sure how true that will be. Anyone have general input on how long this ride takes for a rider who is neither slow nor fast (vague, I know, but I don't have a good sense of my relative speed) and making only a few stops along the way?

Any general advice/encouragement for my first ~100 mile ride is appreciated! I should have trained more for this but this may be my only chance this summer to do this. 

All of the above.  You can use a bike path up to Kenosha then a series of back roads as an alternative.

Charles Cooney said:

So what is Sheridan like above Ft. Sheridan? One poster says to avoid it (esp through Zion). Is it quality of street, amount of traffic, no shoulder, or all of the above?

I have done this ride a few times. I would recommend this route. It avoids Racine which were the only bad / dangerous roads during the trip. It also takes you by the Milwaukee Brewing Co. End your trip there with a tour and some beverages. The other must do is a tour of the Lakefront Brewery, buy your tickets in advance.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/95786219

Hello - my friend and I are riding tomorrow Chicago to Milwaukee and looking at routing options. Looked at the route you posted which nicely avoids Racine. Question - what is the stretch of County Road H / Howell / Route 38 like from Kenosha all the way up? Thanks. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service