The Chainlink

I will admit it. I am starting to get a bit bikeanoid.  Perhaps its this forum. Perhaps its the news media.  Perhaps its the seemingly increasing volume of stories about carnage on the road. Perhaps its because I have been leading one of the local Rides of Silence. Perhaps its me. Perhaps its the drivers. Perhaps they are out to get me...

...Following the discussion about a ghost bike today and then reading a story of yet another cyclist seriously injured finally got me.  How many of us have rationalized to ourselves, "I know what I am doing on my bike.  I don't know about THOSE riders but I'm safe."  It seems that more and more we read about exeprienced cyclists,  riders just like you and me, who are being hurt or worse on the roads.  

I have a gift certificate to REI. I plan to get  a vest, a bell, a new mirror.  I recently upgraded my light. I'm getting bikeanoid.   

I don't want to lose my edge.  We all need that confidence to ride urban roads.  We have to know what we are doing and be able to do what we know without hesitation  We can't flinch. We can't be scared. We can't be bikeanoid. 

I know I have been one of the annoying safety nerds on this board. Those posts came from somebody who thought he knew better.  Maybe it doesn't make a difference.  Maybe its just a lottery that we can't control.  Maybe all that safety crap will not do me any good. Maybe that truck is just waiting for me. Maybe I should forego the vest etc and get myself something more fun. Maybe I'm getting...bikeanoid. 

Ride safely friends...or @$#& it just cut right through, it might not matter.  :-)

Views: 585

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe it is not bikeanoid but seasonal affective disorder.  We will be cured when sunset is once again after 7:00 p.m.

I've been doing this for a while and found it effective.  The steady light is on my handlebars and the blinker is helmet mounted, so I can point it at drivers who seem distracted if I'm not sure that they see me.  That's been effective about 99% of the times I've used it.

I agree that many drivers seem to more surprised to see us in winter, although it seems to be getting a bit better each year as there are more of us out there.  I've noticed that improvement much more in neighborhoods with a lot more bike traffic.

Cameron Puetz said:

If you're going to run two lights I've heard it recommended to set one to blink and one to steady. The blink gets peoples' attention and the steady makes it easier to judge your speed and closing time.

I have been doing the opposite, but this makes sense.  I think I will switch.  The left turning drivers when I am going straight seem to be the worst, as Holly mentioned.

What about rear?  I have been running blinking on bike and helmet, but they blink differently.

Anne Alt said:

I've been doing this for a while and found it effective.  The steady light is on my handlebars and the blinker is helmet mounted, so I can point it at drivers who seem distracted if I'm not sure that they see me.  That's been effective about 99% of the times I've used it.

I also do the dual treatment for red rear blinkies - both flashing.

Lisa Curcio said:

I have been doing the opposite, but this makes sense.  I think I will switch.  The left turning drivers when I am going straight seem to be the worst, as Holly mentioned.

What about rear?  I have been running blinking on bike and helmet, but they blink differently.

Anne Alt said:

I think it's a combination of factors, none of them good: not expecting to see cyclists in the cold. Not being able to judge cyclists' speed. Not yielding. Pro-motor-vehicle culture. Smartphones. 

I really hate to be a Debbie Downer, but Chicago drivers are the worst I've encountered. We need education, enforcement and a culture shift. When my supervisor, who works with me and another "life experienced" bike commuter, expresses an opinion that the cyclist who died after a dooring "was probably biking crazy,"  I see a huge need for culture shift and attitude before things improve.

p.s. I no longer own a car, but do drive occasionally.... 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service