The Chainlink

Just signed up for Bike the Drive. There are going to be 5 or more of us doing it. Various skill levels and rides.

We tried to find out about trailers and/or Trail-A-Bikes (are they allowed, how much extra do we have to pay, do the children inside/on have to pay, how much, etc.?). Nothing on the website. Does anyone have any info on that?

Also, if you have participated in it previously, what kind of experience(s) did you have? Any recommendations?

All advice will be read, and we will sort out what we can to make it an excellent ride.

I will have my (by then) 10 yr old on his 20" bike, me on "The Beast", my wife on her Huffy Sea Pines (1974ish), an Army buddy on his Aluminum "hot rod" (that's what I call it), and George Vanderford on something that has 2 wheels (I hope).

Again, any advice will be helpful.

Thank you all in advance.

Respectfully,

Manny

Views: 3622

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mike W,

I'm sorry this became a fight about helmets. It was not my intention, i came here for information on the helmet regulations for BTD only.

I was not aware there have been other arguments about helmets, I haven't visited here before, and certainly won't be again!

Apologies again, please put this thread back on track : )

mike w. said:

If you're into it, BTD looks like it'd be a great time. i haven't done it because i'm a tightwad and live too far away to want to make the journey in. Enjoy the ride, sunrise over the lake is a beautiful thing and being surrounded by fellow riders can be great fun.

And could we PLEASE not have yet another trollfest about helmets? It comes up every couple of weeks here and it's becoming a bore. Thank you.

Peace. Out.

Hillary,

That would be a shame.

Join a ride or come to a bar night. Since we are entering summer in Chicago there are tons of rides to choose from. Just look at the events calendar on CLs frontpage. You’ll see that we are not a hostile bunch, and our biggest fault is that we passionately care about biking in Chicagoland.

I looked at your profile and noticed you’re a recent transplant from the U.K. If you are not familiar with Chicago just yet, there is likely no better ride than the Perimeter ride. It is a daylong group ride around the perimeter of Chicago, close to 100 miles at a slow pace, and takes you to neighborhoods where most folks will never venture on their own. Usually scheduled for late August, this ride has been done for 11 years now and is probably the best ride I “discovered” after joining the Chainlink. Best of all? No helmet requirement! :)

Hilary T said:

[...] I haven't visited here before, and certainly won't be again!  [...]

Sounds good!

I'm still finding my way around, and getting lost, but the perimeter ride sounds like a grand day out : )

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Hillary,

That would be a shame.

Join a ride or come to a bar night. Since we are entering summer in Chicago there are tons of rides to choose from. Just look at the on CLs frontpage. You’ll see that we are not a hostile bunch, and our biggest fault is that we passionately care about biking in Chicagoland.

I looked at your profile and noticed you’re a recent transplant from the U.K. If you are not familiar with Chicago just yet, there is likely no better ride than the Perimeter ride. It is a daylong group ride around the perimeter of Chicago, close to 100 miles at a slow pace, and takes you to neighborhoods where most folks will never venture on their own. Usually scheduled for late August, this ride has been done for 11 years now and is probably the best ride I “discovered” after joining the Chainlink. Best of all? No helmet requirement! :)

Hilary T said:

[...] I haven't visited here before, and certainly won't be again!  [...]

Hilary - I'm sorry that you got off to a rough start here.  I hope that you'll stick around and try other rides in addition to the Perimeter Ride.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service