The Chainlink

Just signed up for Bike the Drive. There are going to be 5 or more of us doing it. Various skill levels and rides.

We tried to find out about trailers and/or Trail-A-Bikes (are they allowed, how much extra do we have to pay, do the children inside/on have to pay, how much, etc.?). Nothing on the website. Does anyone have any info on that?

Also, if you have participated in it previously, what kind of experience(s) did you have? Any recommendations?

All advice will be read, and we will sort out what we can to make it an excellent ride.

I will have my (by then) 10 yr old on his 20" bike, me on "The Beast", my wife on her Huffy Sea Pines (1974ish), an Army buddy on his Aluminum "hot rod" (that's what I call it), and George Vanderford on something that has 2 wheels (I hope).

Again, any advice will be helpful.

Thank you all in advance.

Respectfully,

Manny

Views: 3622

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here are some things that I found about Bike The Drive the three times I have done it:

* My first two years, I rode a Dahon Cadenza 8 (full-size folding bike), 30 and 37.5 miles, respectively.  The first time, the weather was absolutely perfect.  The second time, there was a thick pea soup over LSD and I didn't wear gloves--really should have!

* Last year, I rode a Trek 1.1 road bike 37.5 miles on the route.  It was a very pleasant ride, and I enjoyed it a lot.

* The areas near Jackson and the rest stops (at Museum of Science and Industry or at Hollywood) tend to have the most congestion of bikers.  Around 3000N or 3000S, for example, it is usually not too difficult to manoeuvre.

* The ride is not exactly car-free, as emergency vehicles are still allowed.  If there is one, if I recall correctly, it will move to the outside lane (i.e. the left-most in the direction of travel).

* The route is fairly flat, but there is a climb on the bridge over the Chicago River. 

* As for the trailers and such, I believe that it is basically, "if you pedal, you pay."

* The rest stops are well-stocked and there are plenty of KYBOs (porta-potties) there.  They also have "reunion areas" for parents who get separated from their kids (or vice-versa!) at the rest stops.

* Don't lose your armband or numbers, as they will have a few checkpoints to ensure that people are paying customers.

* The live entertainment at the post-ride party is good.  (Maybe it's just my taste in music and entertainment, though).  Plenty of tents will also have free giveaways.

* There is more that I can probably think of, but I think I'll end my stream of consciousness here. :)

Manny, 

So sorry this wasn't easy to find on our website. In our FAQs we offer the information you need (Noah is correct) about children.

http://bikethedrive.org/faq

If you pedal, you pay. Children in trailers do not need to register. However, each tandem or tagalong rider must register and wear his or her wristband and rider and helmet numbers.

We'll add this note to the signup page, too.

We hope you have a wonderful ride, thanks for joining us! Please do let us know if you need anything else.

Thank you,

Ethan Spotts, Active Trans

I did it last year for the first time! I really truly enjoyed my experience. I would suggest the following thought to really ensure an enjoyable experience:

• SUNBLOCK
  • Display your wristband, helmet number, and rider number visibly  like the first poster suggested they are checked multiple times!!
  • Wear a helmet! they won't let you participate otherwise. 
  • All skill levels are present. This includes (to quote another Chainlinker) "racer types". They were quite angry when they approached people who were biking more slowly. IMO that's what BTD was designed for. To enjoy the rare occasion to ride on LSD and enjoy time with your families. The seemed most ajitated with people who didn't understand that slower riders should ride on the right.They alse seemed to forget that this is a family event. Even the littlest riders were out there pedaling away! (It was a blast to see the little tykes having a ball riding in the street)
  • Bring Hydration
  • Arrive early. I started at 6AM which gave me plenty of time to complete the whole 30 mike route. It took me 2.5 hours and I rode at a comfortable pace. They force all riders to the lake from path by 9AM. I am by no means anything more than a mediocre/casual rider!
  • Have a camera available
  • Pick a comfortable pace
  • Dress in layers. It was chilly at 5:45AM when I arrived, but by 8:30 it was into the 90's
  • Bring a snack. There are only two rest stops with food. Located at museum campus, and Hollywood. 
  • Sunglasses. The reflection from the lake could have been devastating if I didn't have my shades. I have light colored eyes, and I was so happy I brought them!

I had the time of my life and I participated all by myself. I went home and talked it up so much that my mom and boyfriend both signed up with me this year. I chatted with all kinds of people, and loved the fact that I was able to be a part of such an amazing event. I can't wait to ride again this year! IT is a new tradition for me! Enjoy the time with your family! I can't wait to bring kids of my own some day!! 

I've volunteered at Bike the Drive since the first year.  I'd like to offer a few tips for a better day in addition to what Amanda noted above.

It co$ts to put on the event, and it's the year's biggest fundraiser for the Active Transportation Alliance.  If you want to support their work, registering for Bike the Drive and doing the ride (or volunteering) is a fun way to do it.

If you haven't done the ride before, be aware that it's safer for everyone if slower riders stay to the right and faster riders stay to the left.  Please stop on the right, NOT along the median.  Re-entering traffic in the fast lane can cause accidents.

Check the weather forecast when you're preparing for the day and dress appropriately.  Since the ride starts at dawn, you may need a windbreaker or other layer(s) to be comfortable before the sun warms things up.  Weather conditions will change over the course of the ride, so layers are a very good idea.

If it's your first time getting out on your bike for the season, take a little time to give it a mechanical check and pump up the tires.  Not sure how to do that?  Taking it to your local bike shop between now and then for a pre-season isn't a bad idea.  This minimizes the chances of having mechanical problems spoil your ride on Lake Shore Drive.  If you have a flat tire of mechanical problems on the ride, there will be assistance available. However, if many people have problems at the same time, help might not reach you right away.  There will be mechanics available along Columbus near the start area.

There are 3 rest stops with food: central, north, and south.  There is also a pancake breakfast available after the ride at the central Festival area.

You might not notice it in a car, but Lake Shore Drive does have small hill climbs: approaching Grand, Foster, Belmont, and McCormick Place.

Have fun!  Start your summer with pleasant conversations, scenery and sun, and cruising Lake Shore Drive without cars.  There's no other ride quite like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhH_YDodYP0

Jennifer on the lake said:

[deleted] It's the Independent Weavers you need to worry about, and unfortunately, they come in many shapes.

I love it!

Mike Schwab said:

[deleted] It's the Independent Weavers you need to worry about, and unfortunately, they come in many shapes.

Those guys were here!

Mike Schwab said:

maybe the old 2011 post at chicargobike would be helpful. There are a few more if you search 'bike the drive'. They charge per rider not bike. As I recall, even balance bikers need to pay. You should try to pick up your numbers and stuff in the week or 2 before the event at Active Trans's sites - look at their website - because otherwise the kids will all get adult shirts at the event, and you'll all be stuck in a long line. Come to BtD EARLY and think about where to go (anywhere along the route) for brunch afterwards. You can use the lakefront path to get back to the start later if needed.

Hope to see you out there - I'll keep an eye open for the Sea Pines

Yeah, I'd like to see the day when bicyclists can use the drive 24/7, 364.5 days a year and cagers can have the privilege of using it 6 hours, one day a year for a $45.00 fee. Now that would really be fun!

peter moorman said:

It s a shame to have to pay to bike the drive for one day

when cars get to use it for free 364 days.

Not fair, but sounds like fun!

It's 4.5 hours at the very most, from 5:30 am to 10:00 am. They start directing people to get off LSD around 9:30 am. 

Joe Guzzardo said:

Yeah, I'd like to see the day when bicyclists can use the drive 24/7, 364.5 days a year and cagers can have the privilege of using it 6 hours, one day a year for a $45.00 fee. Now that would really be fun!

peter moorman said:

Then we should charge the cagers more!

Michelle Stenzel said:

It's 4.5 hours at the very most, from 5:30 am to 10:00 am. They start directing people to get off LSD around 9:30 am. 

Joe Guzzardo said:

peter moorman said:

My 6 year old was hopeful to do this since she is fascinated by the drive. Unfortunately, it's just too early for a great family biking event (for us). In order for her to have enough time to bike a decent distance and get downtown for the start, we'd have to leave our house at 4:45am. Not gonna happen with a 2 year old in tow. Hopefully another year...

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service