The Chainlink

HI Everyone. I just moved to chicago in January. Now that it's getting warmer out, I need to get my bike back in shape to ride it. [Had it taken apart and boxed up to make the cross-country move safely.] Does anyone have a recommendation for a good bike shop close to Andersonville? We live just north of there. Thanks for your help! I really miss my bike and am looking forward to being reunited with it! Cynthia

Views: 1240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Johnny Sprockets - Bryn Mawr

1052 W. Bryn Mawr
Chicago, IL 60660
773-293-1697 
E-mail this location
Map and directions

Or call Adam of Pedal to the people ! 773-355-0882.

That Johnny Sprockets is where I go a lot for service. They're really, really good. ( I, too, live in Andersonville.)

If you don't mind trundling up to Evanston, the Pony Shop, on Chicago just south of Dempster, comes highly recommended.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Living in A'ville for 13 years now. There are definitely a few good shops in that area.

Uptown Bikes. 4653 North Broadway Street. Hands down best bike shop on the north side, especially if you are just looking to get your bike tuned up. They don't oversell you or upsell you. They don't talk down to you. They are affordable and they are women owned and women managed

Johnny Sprockets. Good shop too, although sometimes I feel like they can talk down to me.

Roberts cycles7054 North Clark Street One of the oldest shops in town. Never really been there myself, but here good things about.

Turin. 4710 N Damen Ave. Opened last week or so. It's a reincarnation of the old Turin shop in Evanston. Haven't been there, but if they are anything like the old one, they are going to be great.

Gary's Cycle shop. 6317 North Clark Street. I would avoid it. Too much of a putz, and doesn't stand behind his product. My wife once had her bike overhauled. When she picked it up, the bottom bracket made a creaking noise. When she got back to him, he said that was how she brought it in.

Shining bikes and thing. Bryn Mawr and Western. Avoid at all costs. Bike community suspects that he sells stolen bikes.

Whatever you decide on, try to pick one that you are comfortable with and stick with them. Introduce yourself, so they recognize you. Most bike shops will treat their regulars well.

I swear by Uptown for anything I need to buy, but you should also know about the terrific open shops here in town where you can do it all yourself!

The Recyclery is up north--http://www.therecyclery.org/

West Town Bikes is where it all started--http://westtownbikes.org/

Both are huge assets to the community.  Classes are available to teach you how to do any and everything to your bike.  Open Shop nights offer all the tools you need and expert advice on whatever you're trying to do. I haven't gone to a mechanic in years since I found out about these folks.

I agree that Uptown Bikes - although not really in Andersonville - is the best of the best.

I've lived in Andersonville for over 2 years now. This is such a happiness-boosting neighborhood, so welcome Cynthia!

I'm grateful for this thread and the tips on shops.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Living in A'ville for 13 years now. There are definitely a few good shops in that area.

Uptown Bikes. 4653 North Broadway Street. Hands down best bike shop on the north side, especially if you are just looking to get your bike tuned up. They don't oversell you or upsell you. They don't talk down to you. They are affordable and they are women owned and women managed

Johnny Sprockets. Good shop too, although sometimes I feel like they can talk down to me.

Roberts cycles7054 North Clark Street One of the oldest shops in town. Never really been there myself, but here good things about.

Turin. 4710 N Damen Ave. Opened last week or so. It's a reincarnation of the old Turin shop in Evanston. Haven't been there, but if they are anything like the old one, they are going to be great.

Gary's Cycle shop. 6317 North Clark Street. I would avoid it. Too much of a putz, and doesn't stand behind his product. My wife once had her bike overhauled. When she picked it up, the bottom bracket made a creaking noise. When she got back to him, he said that was how she brought it in.

Shining bikes and thing. Bryn Mawr and Western. Avoid at all costs. Bike community suspects that he sells stolen bikes.

Whatever you decide on, try to pick one that you are comfortable with and stick with them. Introduce yourself, so they recognize you. Most bike shops will treat their regulars well.

Thanks everyone! This is super helpful. Really appreciate all the welcomes and advice!

I can chime in on Turin, Duppie - went yesterday for service and am going back today to buy a helmet. I grew up with Turin in Evanston and the Damen shop is exactly the same great, friendly, helpful vibe. Check them out - they just  opened a couple of weeks ago and could not be easier to get to from A-ville - even if you load your bike onto the #50 bus!

Good luck and welcome, Cynthia! I loved living in and biking Chicago from Andersonville.

Uptown Bikes is very cool. I bought my bike there and they service it for me, too. Nearby is Z-Wallis, Military Surplus, where you can get riding clothing at a good price. Also nearby is Gigio's Pizzeria, ranked one of the top 25 pizza places by Chicago Magazine. 

Those businesses are in one of the grittier areas of the city but they're also in the path of progress. The $200 million Wilson L station makeover will surely help, along with other developments that have been made in the last several years. I'm hopeful the new alderman will raise the bar and drive out the gang turf wars that have plagued the area for years, sure glad Shiller is gone.

One thing about riding your bike, you become a little more attached to your locality. Cars tend to create isolation.

Gene Tenner said:

I agree that Uptown Bikes - although not really in Andersonville - is the best of the best.

Cappleman is surely trying to clean up the area. But not everyone agrees with his methods...
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130311/uptown/cappleman-invited-by...

Joe Guzzardo said:

Uptown Bikes is very cool. I bought my bike there and they service it for me, too. Nearby is Z-Wallis, Military Surplus, where you can get riding clothing at a good price. Also nearby is Gigio's Pizzeria, ranked one of the top 25 pizza places by Chicago Magazine. 

Those businesses are in one of the grittier areas of the city but they're also in the path of progress. The $200 million Wilson L station makeover will surely help, along with other developments that have been made in the last several years. I'm hopeful the new alderman will raise the bar and drive out the gang turf wars that have plagued the area for years, sure glad Shiller is gone.

One thing about riding your bike, you become a little more attached to your locality. Cars tend to create isolation.

Gene Tenner said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service