The Chainlink

How tragic.  Yet another biker dies, in this case on a route I take most days.

I want to express extend to Robert's friends and family.  Anybody here know him?

I wonder exactly where it happened and how the two collided. The road is pretty wide there I believe...

From the Trib:

A 26-year-old man died Wednesday night after he was hit by a car traveling in the same direction, police said. 

Robert Cann, of the 3200 block of North Southport Avenue, was pronounced dead at 7:05 p.m.

He had been traveling south on Clybourn Avenue north of Division Street and was hit by a southbound car about 6:45 p.m., police said. 

Views: 5313

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are two photos - two cars facing two different directions.

There are two pictures on dnainfo and they appear to show two different crashed cars. One is black (Infiniti?) and the other is silver (Mercedes?).

http://assets.dnainfo.com/generated/chicago_photo/2013/05/clybourn-...

http://assets.dnainfo.com/generated/chicago_photo/2013/05/clybourn-...

Will G - 10mi said:

The pictures on DNA Info make it look like it was a vehicular accident as well, was the cyclist just collateral damage? 

I stand corrected.  What an awful mess.  I can't even fathom his friends' and family's loss over something that will probably amount to less than $500 in traffic fines.

blair_ said:

There are two photos - two cars facing two different directions.

I'm sorry for your loss. 

Philip Bird said:

His name is Bobby Cann. He was my best friend.

So sorry to hear about this. Wish his family and friends all the strength they need over the next days and weeks.

The Trib is now reporting that the driver of the Mercedes, which hit and killed the bicyclist, may have been under the influence of alcohol.

We are so sorry to hear about this, our thoughts go out to Bobby's family and friends...it breaks my heart to know that a wonderful person will no longer be with us.

Active Trans' crash support hotline and resources may be able help with questions, legal referrals, etc. Please feel free to call us or have Bobby's family reach out if they want. 312.869.4357 (HELP).

Our best thoughts are with you all in celebrating Bobby's life.

Sincerely,

Ethan Spotts and all of us at Active Trans

This is incredibly sad. My condolences to his family and friends.

The Trib update also seems to indicate that the driver of the Mercedes hit Bobby first and then collided with the second car people have been pointing out in the DNAInfo photo. Hopefully investigators will get to the bottom of this quickly and the driver responsible will be held fully accountable. 

Duppie 13.5185km said:

So sorry to hear about this. Wish his family and friends all the strength they need over the next days and weeks.

The Trib is now reporting that the driver of the Mercedes, which hit and killed the bicyclist, may have been under the influence of alcohol.

From the Trib article

The driver of the Mercedes was issued a citation, but was still being questioned and may face more serious charges, police said.

Great...he got a traffic ticket. Can someone with less ignorance about criminal law than myself explain why drivers are not faced with manslaughter charges when they kill pedestrians/cyclists/other drivers as a result of being idiots behind the wheel?

My deepest sympathies Philip. It is terrible to lose someone so young, so suddenly, and so needlessly. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Will, this is horrible as we have all acknowledged.  At the risk of having this devolve into the same discussion that has been had innumerable times on the too many occasions when there have been serious cycling accidents mentioned here, we should not be jumping to conclusions.  At this point it is entirely possible that additional charges might be filed.  Or not.  The investigation is, I suspect, ongoing.

Will G - 10mi said:

From the Trib article

The driver of the Mercedes was issued a citation, but was still being questioned and may face more serious charges, police said.

Great...he got a traffic ticket. Can someone with less ignorance about criminal law than myself explain why drivers are not faced with manslaughter charges when they kill pedestrians/cyclists/other drivers as a result of being idiots behind the wheel?

I hope that the motorist is still being held while they figure out what additional charges to file against them.

Will,

IANAL, but traffic infractions are civil citations, which can be issued on the spot by the police. Manslaughter and such are criminal charges, and must be charged by the state (?) and as such requires a certain legal procedure.

Will G - 10mi said:

From the Trib article

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service