The Chainlink

So I've always been a back pack guy but It's time for a new one.  While I've always thought the straps on both shoulders would be the best bet, messenger bangs seem to be very popular with commuters like myself.  Messenger bags definitely look sweet, and they're more professional looking for sure, but that's the limit to my knowledge.

So, with that said, I want to tap into the biking community as to what the pro's and cons of messenger bags to back packs?  Also, to be fun, feel free to weigh in on your preference to get this thing straightened up once and for all.

Views: 3620

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How about a rack and a milk crate? 

Need more info. Are you commuting by bike, bus, train or car? What are you carrying? Do you put a lot of stuff in or just a few things? Heavy load with a laptop? I prefered my bag on my bike rather than my back, as things tend to shift on my back, causing too many unnecessary balance adjustments.

+1

Jared said:

How about a rack and a milk crate? 

Bike Commuting.  Mostly odds and ends stuff like gym clothes, occasionally groceries, stuff like that.

Gene Tenner said:

Need more info. Are you commuting by bike, bus, train or car? What are you carrying? Do you put a lot of stuff in or just a few things? Heavy load with a laptop? I prefered my bag on my bike rather than my back, as things tend to shift on my back, causing too many unnecessary balance adjustments.

I had used a Chrome Metropolis messenger bag in the past, but found that all the weight on one shoulder was killing me. 

So, I moved to a 'cycling specific' backpack - a Mission Workshop Vandal. Initially, I was going to switch to a rack and panniers, but I felt that the backpack offered more flexibility and speed in carrying stuff to places I wanted to go; for instance, I do some grocery shopping on the way home from work...bam! throw it in the pack at the store and hop on to the bike. I'm heading on the train to go out of town for the weekend? Throw some clothes and toiletries and just go. Urban exploring for the day on my bike or the el? Good to go.

The only time I get really pissy is the summer - but both a backpack and messenger bag will leave you with a sweaty back. When I get to work, I usually just wipe down my back with baby wipes or a soapy washcloth I've put into a ziplock baggy. 

And besides, rack and panniers are just too Fredly. ;)

I agree with Jeff! I would go the Pannier route, and get a rack. If you dont have mounts on you bike that will adapt a rack, then you need the rack that mounts to your seat post, they cam hold about 25 lbs.Trek makes one and it has an aluminum body.

then sunlite makes a pannier that turns into a messenger bag after you park the bike.
http://sunlitecycling.com/product_detail.php?short_code=C-Sport+For... or 

trek..  http://www.bontrager.com/model/09580

Rack: http://www.bontrager.com/model/06971

these are compatible together. and clip easy on and off.

The messanger bag or back pack seem like a cool idea, until your back

starts hurting or you schuolder from the weight.

Jeff Schneider said:

If you need to carry very much, a rack and panniers is best- everything is secure and the c.g. is low.  Baskets are not quite as useful, since things tend to bounce around (not good for fruit, etc.) unless you have a good strategy for securing them.

For light loads (computer, books, a couple of grocery items), I like a messenger bag better than a backpack, since it puts the weight lower on your back, i.e., keeps your center of gravity lower.  It's also convenient to be able to get access by swinging it to the front of your body without having to take it off.  A backpack would be more secure, and distributing weight over 2 straps rather than 1 would be more comfortable if you need to carry more than 10 lbs or so - but again if you need to carry that much, it's better to get it off your back altogether.

Sounds like you have some very good advice here, Mike. Flexibilty to your daily and occaisional needs is the key.

Get a messenger bag, a back pack, a rack, a crate and some panniers.

Pretty soon you will make this guy look like a novice:

I like my Timbuk2  Shift; a messenger bag with hooks for use as a pannier.
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/shift-bike-pannier-messenger

I find that any bag on my body, if the ride is at all more vigorous than a tweed ride or other slow meandering, becomes a wet spot of sweat where that bag is sitting.  It's bad enough when it is cool but once the temps start to rise anything pressing on my body on my back or shoulders is going to be a sweaty mess as it can't breathe.  

I also don't like any bag that is loose enough to make this sweat issue less of a problem.  It's flopping around too much.  Bags that hold the load from shifting/bounce stay too close in one spot and cause the problem.

A rack/basket/pannier is the way to go.  I put my shoulder bag into my side basket when I'm on my bike and throw it back onto my shoulder when I park the bike when i get to each place I stop at.  

When I see people riding with backpacks and messenger bags I wonder why i'm such a sweaty beast that I can't get away with that. 

I think it's personal preference. I much prefer the backpack for equal distribution on my shoulders. I use a simple eastpack backpack and it works great. I know I'll get sweaty on my back for commuting, but I have clinical sweat issues anyway so it wouldn't make a difference to me. However, I do have the luxury of a shower at work. If you don't the baby-wipes work just fine. I also wouldn't worry about looking more or less professional. I see many "suits" commuting with backpacks. If you have a job where you see clients who might judge, perhaps you can commute with a backpack and keep a fancy bag at your office.

Get some panniers!  Who needs shoulder pain and backsweat!

Back packs are stable, and with carry as much as a messenger bag- but aren't as cool.

Messenger bags are designed for lotsa stops and lotsa odd volume in addition.

Its function over form- So I' on my latest new/old/free back pack. I suppose @ the ripe young age for AARP.. I've commuted & carried roughly 12 cheap or deluxe 'favorite' biking, commuting backpacks & 15related  soft to Samsonite hard shell briefcases (or do you say attache').. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service