The Chainlink

Consider this: You like to use the Chicago Bike Map but you don't always carry it with you. You want to be reminded of where the bike lanes and trail access points are. But you do carry your smartphone with you, all the time. 

In April 2012 I launched my first-ever app, the Chicago Bike Guide. It works similarly to the "Chicago Bike Map" (the City's printed one) in that it shows the presence of on-street bike lanes, multi-use trails, and train stations. It works like Google Maps, though, where you can pinch and zoom to interact with the map. 

Divvy, train stations, directions, The Chainlink, Twitter, points of interest, it's all right here. 

Available for Android and iOS

Routing on the Chicago Bike Guide

Views: 3849

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Um . . . yeah, hopefully that will be fixed in the next version :-)

Nice work, Steve!

This is a great on-the-spot resource when there is poor or no internet connection available.

Thanks. The "no data connection" features will never go away!

BTW, 124 people downloaded the app during "free day", only 93 of them from the United States market. 

Tom Kompare said:

Nice work, Steve!

This is a great on-the-spot resource when there is poor or no internet connection available.

Thanks for pointing that out. I added it to my Press page. The Mayor's Twitter account linked to Chicagoist yesterday

Thanks for making this app (and fr the free d/l.)

I used it last night for a route to see the Who doc. Very useful. I can't provide more detailed feedback at this point but I will with more use.

Thank you!

The map will be updated soon with the following new bikeways, as they are complete or under construction:

• Wells Street, buffered bike lane between Chicago River and Chicago Avenue
  • Halsted Street, buffered bike lane between Wellington and Diversey
  • Wabash Avenue, buffered bike lane between Roosevelt and Harrison

I'm taking suggestions for additional points of interest. They should not be commercial (look at the current list in the app). 

The update will also include the latest versions of PhoneGap (Cordova), jQuery, and jQueryMobile. These JS files will be minified in an attempt to speed up performance (although the app runs at a great speed on iPhone 4S; I haven't seen it run on iPads or iPod touches). 

Cross posted.

I did a bicycle tour of historic places in Uptown this summer, You can add those:

Hutchinson Street Historic District - 600 W. Hutchinson Street, Chicago, IL 60640

Peace Garden - 4200N Lakefront Trail Chicago, Illinois 60640

Montrose Point Bird Sanctuary - 200 (??? Rough address) W Montrose Harbor Dr, Chicago, IL 60640

Aragon Ballroom - 1106 West Lawrence Avenue, Chicago, IL 60640

Essanay Studios - 1345 W Argyle St, Chicago, IL 60640

+1 Android.

Any chance you'll open source the code? Perhaps some folks form the community would jump in.

The Android version isn't happening for now. I'm having problems with the Android SDK/Eclipse IDE/Android emulator (mostly the emulator) and I'm going to devote more of my time to furthering the app's development. The app is platform agnostic, but I have to wrap it with iOS or with Android and wrapping it with Android is a problem right now. 

If anyone's an Android developer, I have questions. 

I would considering making this open source if I could still make sales. 

Richard said:

+1 Android.

Any chance you'll open source the code? Perhaps some folks form the community would jump in.

I will take these into consideration. I probably won't do the history district as that's a "line" and not a "point". What is Essanay Studios?

Gene Tenner said:

I did a bicycle tour of historic places in Uptown this summer, You can add those:

Hutchinson Street Historic District - 600 W. Hutchinson Street, Chicago, IL 60640

Peace Garden - 4200N Lakefront Trail Chicago, Illinois 60640

Montrose Point Bird Sanctuary - 200 (??? Rough address) W Montrose Harbor Dr, Chicago, IL 60640

Aragon Ballroom - 1106 West Lawrence Avenue, Chicago, IL 60640

Essanay Studios - 1345 W Argyle St, Chicago, IL 60640

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service