The Chainlink

Saw this one on the Wisconsin Bike Fed blog:

http://wisconsinbikefed.org/2016/06/22/driver-hits-kills-co-worker-...

Unlike other incidents I've seen reported, this one appears to involve people who likely knew each other. The two were coworkers, both working for WS Packaging Solutions in Algoma, WI.

Views: 10786

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

More, from this piece:

The driver had a prior conviction for Driving While Ability Impaired (DWAI). Court records show Kuhasz was ticketed by Boulder Police in March for Driving While Ability Impaired.

She pleaded guilty in May and was sentenced to 12 months probation and 24 hours of community service, records show. Court records also show a previous driving while intoxicated arrest Texas during 2013 but the case was dismissed.

So, the driver was sentenced to probation a month ago. No driver's license suspension? Or driving on a suspended license?

No suspended license. Just 12 months probation. She has a history of alcohol abuse. I just wish we would change how we handle this BEFORE the tragedy happens. Call me crazy but I do think any alcohol-related driving arrest in which blood-alcohol is proven should end up in at the very least alcohol education, suspended license, and at least 30-60 days ban on drinking. We shouldn't be letting DUIs off the hook.

Another follow up with video:

http://www.9news.com/news/crime/fatal-boulder-cyclist-hit-and-run/2...

Kuhasz is still on probation for driving while ability impaired in Boulder in March and also had two other prior alcohol-related arrests — one for DUI and one for public intoxication.

She made her first appearance in custody at the Boulder County Jail on Monday, where Boulder County Judge Karolyn Moore set her bond in the amount of $200,000.

Because of her criminal history and her "brazen disrespect for the courts," Boulder Deputy District Attorney Laura Kinde asked that a $250,000 bond be set, adding that prosecutors saw her posting photos of herself drinking a beer shortly after going on probation.

Kuhasz's attorney Thomas Braham asked for a $100,000 bond, saying his client was not a flight risk and had ties to the community.

"She's just really having a hard time in jail," said Braham, a statement that brought groans and jeers from friends of Davis sitting in the gallery for the hearing.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_30061675/affidavit-mostl...

I was just up in Door County area, Baileys Harbor north of Algoma riding the Peninsula Century Spring Classic two Saturdays ago.  Very narrow shoulder but with sparely traffic.  I'm shocked this happened because the drivers were very courtesy on the entire century route that day and I assume that's how everybody drive up there know bicyclists are everywhere up there.  I saw quite about 10 locals and tourists total who were out riding that day.  Very sad.

The incident is the first-ever fatality within the Divvy system and likely the first time in U.S. history that a bike-sharing rider was killed while on a rented bike. In April, Quartz reported that of the 30 bike-sharing programs in cities across the country, no fatalities had been reported. 

Photos from the scene show the damaged, abandoned sky-blue Divvy bike on the Belmont Avenue sidewalk.

The name of the little girl was released. She is Sophie Stultz. Her, mother, Sarah Stultz, is the managing editor of the newspaper in this link. Also, I had the state incorrect above. Sophie lived in Albert Lea, MN, not TX.

NYPD answers a motorist's vicious, fatal attack on cyclist, Matthew Von Ohlen by cracking down on cyclists.

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/nypd-cracks-down-on-cyclists-after...

A later report identified the victim in the Modesto crash as Rachelle White.

A friend reports that he witnessed a cab pin a cyclist against an illegally parked USPS truck (is there any other kind?) in front of Thompson Ctr. this afternoon, coming within inches of killing her.  Fortunately, she's not seriously injured.  The cab stopped for a second and then took off.  They called 911, and it took CPD an hour and a half to respond.  The responding officer refused to get out of the police vehicle to take a report.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service