The Chainlink

Last night while watching the Daily Show, this Acura car commercial comes on during a break. I wasn't paying much attention until I heard the phrase "Aggression, in its most elegant form." I stopped what I was doing, looked up noticing it was a car commercial and proceeded to replay the commercial not once but thrice. Its emphasis of the word aggression rubbed me the wrong way. It is aggressive drivers that scare me the most, posing the greatest threat to myself and others while being forced by law to share the same space. This commercial treats driving like some kind of game, where the driver is protected in his car like a football player is protected by his so called armor. That what is on the inside is still an aggressive beast but rewrapped to be more elegant on the outside, but that power is still there, and it is begging to be unleashed upon the opposition.

I get that Acura is taking advantage of Superbowl season, but the mentality that driving is a game, that one needs to win, to beat others, that attitude needs to change.

Anyway, I know I'm reading too much into this but than again, my experience whether riding a bike or driving a car, those in expensive automobiles are generally more aggressive drivers who are of the opinion their time is way more important than my life. "Because if you aren't a winner than you are worthless to me, so get the *&^%$ out of MY way." 

All I can hear now while watching this commercial is a bunch of cheerleaders yelling "Be aggressive, be e aggressive!" I don't hate cars, just the people who drive them, aggressively. 

Views: 1498

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One thing that often catches my ear is the statistics of automobile fatalities are often use to downplay and provide perspective on the fatality rates of other things which have people worried. Like some meat contamination or so on may get a bunch of attention but it's "only" killed x number of people, but car accidents kill way more than that, and you aren't worried about cars, so don't worry about this.

Car fatality rates are basically treated as a baseline "shit happens" rate of death, not a thing to really think is maybe unacceptable.

h' said:

I smell desperation.

http://www.torquenews.com/1063/2012-acura-tsx-posts-record-sales-ac...

I wish that at least a tally of daily deaths by automobile would be reported on the news. 115 people die in this country every day, and 3300 worldwide, in automobile crashes.

When a handful of people are killed by a whacked out gunman, a national debate is sparked on the use of pointed language and its role in fostering violence.  When 3 or 12 people go down in a plane, the entire country hears about them in detail for the better part of a week.  Automotive violence-- the invisible killer.

Hmm, well, when driving in Chicago I find that it is best to be an offensive driver as opposed to a defensive driver...If you slow down when someone is about to pull in front of you or cut you off, they will cut you off and then of course inevitably need to turn left or start looking for parking or something else annoying but by speeding up, they usually just wait until you pass before pulling out into traffic. Of course, when I am on a bike, I would prefer the drivers to be more passive than aggressive I suppose.

*Puke*

Michelle Stenzel said:

I loathe ads like that, and print ads as well, even when they're not touting aggression, just glorifying the car. The statistics about how much of American society's resources are used in making, selling, storing and disposing automobiles are mind-boggling.

Which is why I read with some dismay today that People for Bikes/Bikes Belong, a bicycle advocacy group, announced they're forming a partnership with Volkswagen. (Edit: Use link below) I know that money is needed by advocacy groups, and as car companies go, VW is maybe not the worst of them, but still.

http://www.peopleforbikes.org/blog/entry/volkswagen_announces_two-y...

I remember a few years ago VW ran commercials like this one. I believe they had to pull them off the air because people thought they were too shocking. I personally think they are a great reminder of how violent a car crash is.  

I was fan of those commercials.

Rich S said:

I remember a few years ago VW ran commercials like this one. I believe they had to pull them off the air because people thought they were too shocking. I personally think they are a great reminder of how violent a car crash is.  

I liked this one better. Don't watch if you consider yourself PC

notoriousDUG said:

I was fan of those commercials.

Rich S said:

Just goes to show what a nanny state we have become. This is the kind of PSA they create in the UK to show the dangers of texting while driving. Extremely graphic and completely over the top, yet it does get the point across. I'll believe that we are serious about reducing traffic fatalities once we start to see this kinds of PSA on American TV channels.

Don't watch if you are squeamish.

Rich S said:

Hi Ryan. I beleive that the "aggression" in this commercial, is refering to the styling of the car.   AL

I believe you're wrong.   

Alan Matejka said:

Hi Ryan. I beleive that the "aggression" in this commercial, is refering to the styling of the car.   AL

Isn't this, like, the opposite of nanny state?

In our case, a private company pulled its ad because it turned out to be impacting their marketing campaign negatively. In the case of the PSA, it's a public service announcement wishing to influence behavior in the interest of public safety.

Duppie said:

Just goes to show what a nanny state we have become. This is the kind of PSA they create in the UK to show the dangers of texting while driving. Extremely graphic and completely over the top, yet it does get the point across. I'll believe that we are serious about reducing traffic fatalities once we start to see this kinds of PSA on American TV channels.

Don't watch if you are squeamish.

I don't see how that commercial is over the top. Makes perfect sense to me.

Here is contact info for Acura Client Relations, should you choose to put it to them in writing or voice:

For further assistance, feel free to contact Acura Client Relations. You can get in touch with us several ways:

• By Phone(800) 382-2238 toll free
    Monday through Friday
    6:00 AM to 5:00 PM
    Pacific Standard Time

twitter.com/AcuraClientCare
  • By Fax(310) 783-3535
  • By MailAcura Client Relations
    1919 Torrance Blvd. M/S 500-2N7E
    Torrance, CA
    90501-2746

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by