The Chainlink

I've hit many a bumps,potholes but tonight that front tire went flat in 3 seconds. Nothing in the tire and there was the snake bite in the tube.
I don't ride underinflated but should I go to a wider tire or a better tire? Thick slick or 700x28 rather than 700x23?
I'd like to get a MT bike type with a single gear fixed but that sounds like I'd have to build my own and don't have money for that now.

Views: 427

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First of all, maybe this incident was an anomaly and you shouldn't really worry about it.

Secondly, without asking a gazillion questions about the particulars of what happened, you might want to try a larger tire, a 25 or 28.  Personally, as a somewhat porky 185-pounder, I have found that 28s are great.  They provide equal or better rolling resistance and have better flat resistance.  Specifically, I've had great luck with 28 Panaracer T-Serv PTs at an alleged 270 grams.  I'm about to try a Panaracer Gravelking at an alleged 240 grams.  Serfas makes some nice 28s too, about the same weight and quite sticky and quick under most conditions.  I'm no weight weenie, but I mention the weights to emphasize that these are reasonably light tires despite some decent flat protection.  They should also protect against snake bite punctures because of their greater cushioning.  They feel great to me.

So, for slowish recreational riders such as myself, I believe that 28s are the new 23s.  They are great on bikes in the big city, all-around.  

If money is tight it's moot, but there are actually a lot of single-speed MT-bike options: Rapid Transit (used to?) have a pretty beautiful Kona Humuhumu in their window, for example... Just sayin' you're not necessarily in a build-it-from-scratch scenario with the concept.

You can get a wider tire for the front.  Keep the current tire as a replacement for when the rear tire wears out.

I'll just chalk it up as an anomaly, guy at the bike shop says it happens at the right angle.

I'm putting a shout out to Heritage bikes though, twice this year I've needed a part or immediate assistance and both times they've had what I needed and worked on it right away.
Oh and I cant get a wider tire or rim as the clearance isn't there on my bike so I'll see over winter if I can find a new bike.

don't feel bad, i have Continental Gatorbacks with that special black strip, pumped up to 100psi, hit a small crevice on the street and went flat. I didn' want to walk a mile or two, so I rode on the flat for the distance and other than feeling the cracks, it was rideable. Haven't had flat since. these were 700x18

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service