The Chainlink

Victim and his family sound like great people. RIP

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/oak_park_river_for...

Views: 971

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very sad. News articles on bicycle accidents aren't always very clear on the details. So, did he cross when he did/didn't have the light? 91 year old man on a bike. Guy was hardcore. Sad story.

Sad loss. On the flipside, I think it's great that he was still able to ride and work at 91 years old.

He was my next door neighbor, and this was directly in front of my building. This is an uncontrolled, offset intersection. He was crossing the busy street. It is a bad intersection for all types of vehicles.

I'm very emotionally involved here, as I knew him personally, and this is somewhere I cycle every day. Oak Park police spent hours on accident reconstruction last night.

Tim, guessing that was your wife that contacted me about a memorial.  Just responded-- please get in touch.

Local coverage (no time now to see if it differs from Trib):

http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/10-25-2013/92_year_old-cyclist...

Taken by a neighbor last winter, and used with permission.  It is also featured in the local story.

You may want to get in touch with Bill Watson. I'm sure the Oak Park Cycling Club would want to be involved.

h' $550 said:

Tim, guessing that was your wife that contacted me about a memorial.  Just responded-- please get in touch.

Thanks, I spoke to Bill last night at the chainlink party, and posted to the OPCC list yesterday.

globalguy said:

You may want to get in touch with Bill Watson. I'm sure the Oak Park Cycling Club would want to be involved.

h' $550 said:

Howard, I have some junk bikes at the shop and can get a lock, paint, make a sign and put together a ghost bike, give me all the details for the sign and the exact location where they want it.

h' $550 said:

Local coverage (no time now to see if it differs from Trib):

http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/10-25-2013/92_year_old-cyclist...

I'm sorry Tim, I'm sure you are besides yourself right now. And what a loss to your community. Hopefully they can change that intersection in some way to make this tragedy not happen again.

Tim Heckman said:

He was my next door neighbor, and this was directly in front of my building. This is an uncontrolled, offset intersection. He was crossing the busy street. It is a bad intersection for all types of vehicles.

I'm very emotionally involved here, as I knew him personally, and this is somewhere I cycle every day. Oak Park police spent hours on accident reconstruction last night.

If you need storage - I have a complete shop in the basement her n the OP!

AM 9.5 said:

I have a can of white primer about 4 blocks from the site if a ghost bike is in order.

notoriousDUG said:

Very sorry for your loss, Tim, and sad for all of us.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service