The Chainlink

Views: 148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am really not against that. I cannot stress enough wearing a helmet. (Even though I have went without one for group rides). In my daily commute, I always have one though.
I wear a helmet 95% (or more) of the time, but the one time I didn't (last night) I was scolded by a pedestrian for not wearing one.

The pedestrian was wearing a helmet at the time. You can never be too safe, I guess.

Seriously, though, helmets are a good idea, but I can't stand people getting all moralistic (at me or others). It's a personal choice, and yet, like most personal choices there are repercussions on the rest of society. Where do we draw the line?
that is absolutely ridiculous. it's a matter of personal responsibility, not the job of a nanny-state.
and.. i wear a helmet, btw.
Thats funny, but unnecessary. I was on my bike waiting at a stop light and an old man completely covered in any armor, bike rackage, and anything you could possibly have on his bike clunks up to me and gives me a lecture about how I should wear a helmet and how irresponsible I was. (it too, was one of the few times I go without it).

Hell, as much as I'd like to I'd love to hop into a cab and give him a lecture about how he should really try not to kill cyclists/not look out for them.

evanK said:
I wear a helmet 95% (or more) of the time, but the one time I didn't (last night) I was scolded by a pedestrian for not wearing one.

The pedestrian was wearing a helmet at the time. You can never be too safe, I guess.

Seriously, though, helmets are a good idea, but I can't stand people getting all moralistic (at me or others). It's a personal choice, and yet, like most personal choices there are repercussions on the rest of society. Where do we draw the line?
A helmet doesn't do much except spread the energy of impact around various points of the head. I've gotten a concussion from falling with a helmet, but I could have easily cracked my head open if I hadn't had it on.

I see helmets as a way to slow down Darwinism for a number of people.
absolute liberal BS, it is a civil liberty to choose to protect your brain, if one is not smart enough to protect the skull in the first place----one should suffer the appropriate recourse when kissing the pavement

not wearing a helmet will hurt only the rider....ooooh, unless he has a family, or a future, or a life worth living,
Helmets save lives (or at least reduce the injuries)! Same with seat belts in cars. I would rather have a terrible case of helmet hair and live then risk having even a minor crash and cracking my skull open because I wasn't wearing a helmet. It's not about personal choice, it's about personal responsibility. You get a ticket fot not wearing a seat belt, I think there should be some law concerning helmets and cyclists. I have seen way too many crashes (while racing and watching races) that just a thought of going riding w/o one is scary. Getting people to ride and commute is cool and all, but we gotta drive the point about safety more effectively considering how vulnerable cyclists are on the city streets.
A helmet saved my life when I was sprawled out onto the street and hit my head so hard my neck killed me for days. I'd rather have a painful neck than my brains on clark st.
I have to admit I dont wear a helmet when riding on the road, though I do own one that I use when riding trails off road. I know its already been said but this is another thing that the government needs to stay out of.

Though in my experience it might be useful to wear one on the lake front trail where my girlfreind was nearly killed by cyclist who seem to have forgotten how her brakes worked and side swiped her doin over 20mph while we were doin about 7mph and sent her flyin over the 2 foot concrete drop off on a 50+ pound cruiser, and thats just the most recent bad experience there. Actually I think the way some of them ride at the trails (using it as a race track) should be good reason for pedestrians to wear helmets, as for cars on the road never have many issues, though I do have reflectors and lights so they can see me.
Video_Drome said:
no reflectors, no lights. I usually take to the night time streets in my black ninja suit and my stealth bike. that way i'm invisible. After all, you can't hit something that's invisible can you?

Actually they can still hit you but since your invisible and cant see what they hit, they wont bother to stop :P
Everyone talks about preventing cracking open your head. Don't forget about preventing closed head trauma that leads to subtly things like not being able to concentrate enough to do your job any more, whether you are a lawyer, artist, software developer, teacher, or whatever. Everything ok on the outside but inside, scrambled eggs. Helmets absorb just enough kinetic energy to keep the egg sunny side up.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service