The Chainlink

Hey everyone, I'm new to Chicago and just got my bike sent over to me by a friend in California. I bought a Kryptonite U lock today and went to register it when I stumbled across the National Bike Registry. http://www.nationalbikeregistry.com/
I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of it? And if so is it really worth it?

Views: 70

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jeff - I've always assumed that stolen bikes go into a black hole (then they go onto craigslist where they're sold again), but for just $10 for 10 years of coverage, the National Bike Registry may be good peace of mind. Still - I'm curious whether any here has signed up for it?
Has anyone else been on this site to register your bike??? Related question - does Kryptonite give you extra keys if you need it?
Washington, DC did away with their local bike registry entirely and is instead directing people to register with the National Bike Registry.

The idea is to get rid of the city-by-city registration that makes it impossible to recover a bike. Like, if you're registered in Chi and your bike is recovered in Palos Heights, how will Palos know whose it is?

The truth is, though, that few bikes are recovered. Still, if yours is recovered, NBR makes it more likely it will make its way back to you.
Super old thread bump. However I have never had a bike stolen. Is the NBR a decent idea? With all of the recent bike theft talk what is the best way to register a bike? For instance if I did have a bike that I lost the key for and had to revert to busting a U lock myself. This could happen and if I had a way to legitimately identify my bike how would I do so? I'm sorry if this has been covered before. A quick forum search didn't provide an answer.
Julie, I assume someone answered this for you 2 years ago... but yes, if you have the key number (which is printed right on the key), Kryptonite will send you two replacements for free, once. If you lost the replacement keys, they charge $6 for every additional set. Pretty good deal.

Julie Hochstadter said:
Has anyone else been on this site to register your bike??? Related question - does Kryptonite give you extra keys if you need it?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service