The Chainlink

How many of you ride the lake shore path after dark? Can you see ok??? Any advice for a street biker like myself?

Views: 1127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ashley said:
Yes it does stay open all winter.
I have heard that the section by Oak Street beach becomes quite the hazard. There is a pretty steep grade sloping from the stairs to the water with no protection. So imagine one of those days where it warms up and the snow melts and refreezes...it's like an ice slide right to the lake. I've read about a few people falling in with their bikes. So if I were you, I'd avoid that stretch on icy days ;o)

Yes, the sloping stretch you're describing can be hazardous. Watch for transparent black ice that is virtually impossible to see until it's too late (uh, that happened to me!) Also sometimes waves toss up on the path and freeze. (This happens a bit north of that area).
I've noticed now that summer is here huge influx of lightless riders at night. Last night I was riding between monroe and belmont from 10:30-10:55 (just before close) and saw probably 60 lightless riders heading the opposite direction, 2 lighted riders and 1 rider with only a rear light. I really wish the police (which where on the path waiting for close) would start ticketing cyclists without lights at night. Many of the lightless cyclists where riding side by side with groups, coming around curves much left of center and not visible around them. lights at night on a path aren't just for personal safety (as with helmets) but for the safety of all the path users. There where several times that I did not see approaching bikes until they where several feet from me some riding in the wrong lane. What I saw was very dangerous, and while I am cautious enough to slow down and ring my bell at dark curves, many riders are not.
sometimes that area is completely impassible. once the waves freeze there, that's the end....no more riding through there. occasionally there will be a break in the temp and a little tiny tire path will appear about 2 inches wide through the ice.

I really love riding in the winter..... :)

Ashley said:

I have heard that the section by Oak Street beach becomes quite the hazard. There is a pretty steep grade sloping from the stairs to the water with no protection. So imagine one of those days where it warms up and the snow melts and refreezes...it's like an ice slide right to the lake. I've read about a few people falling in with their bikes. So if I were you, I'd avoid that stretch on icy days ;o)
I really wish people didn't wear earphones!!!!!

Liz said:
I've noticed now that summer is here huge influx of lightless riders at night. Last night I was riding between monroe and belmont from 10:30-10:55 (just before close) and saw probably 60 lightless riders heading the opposite direction, 2 lighted riders and 1 rider with only a rear light. I really wish the police (which where on the path waiting for close) would start ticketing cyclists without lights at night. Many of the lightless cyclists where riding side by side with groups, coming around curves much left of center and not visible around them. lights at night on a path aren't just for personal safety (as with helmets) but for the safety of all the path users. There where several times that I did not see approaching bikes until they where several feet from me some riding in the wrong lane. What I saw was very dangerous, and while I am cautious enough to slow down and ring my bell at dark curves, many riders are not.
Ashley said:

Well, not only that danger, but the city doesn't plow the portion near Oak Street. I emailed the Park District last winter to complain about it and they said they almost had a snowplow fall into the lake, so they don't plow that section any longer.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service