The Chainlink

Hiya folks,

It's time to crank on the sticker design for the coming Bike Winter cycling season . . .  typically we start with a little open brainstorming, and see if we can get any new folks to come out of the woodwork and offer up drafting or design skills to make the ideas reality.

Lookee here for past stickers/mascots/slogans:

http://bikewinter.org/misc/stickergallery.php

Thanks!

Howard K

(edit-- changed subject from 2010-2011 to simply 2011-  sorry for any confusion I created)
(edit 8/20:  basic considerations/requirements-- please review:)
(edit 8/24- dropped lower case requirement for URL)

Basic considerations:

1)These stickers eat up a sizable chunk of our hard-earned funds, and their main purpose is to be seen and read easily so that they can fulfill their function as advocacy tools- thus:

a) Proposed designs need to clearly, prominently, and legibly, at a glance, even in low light conditions, say Bike Winter 2011 (<b>not</b> <i>Chicago</i> Bike Winter! we have other cities that we like to support with these).
Bike Winter is two separate words.

b) Need to clearly, prominently, and legibly, at a glance, even in low light conditions, say bikewinter.org.

2) Size is 1.5"X 4". We're in discussion with one vendor who would print 2 side-by-side (or end to end) on 1.5x8.5" stock and cut them down the middle at no charge, so they might be 4.25" by 1.5".
Can be oriented horizontally or vertically-- see sticker gallery for examples

3) Should not violate copyrights or contain elements used without permission.

4) In keeping with tradition stickers may feature a 'new' mascot and a slogan that ideally would be a corny play on words, but this is not a requirement. In keeping with tradition designs/themes should also not resemble past years' stickers but present a new look for the coming season.

5) Proposals need to be submitted in final, production-ready form by Thursday August 26, either by posting to the sticker/mascot thread in thechainlink.org bikewinter group, or as an attachment to the bikewinter@hafd.org e-mail list. Please try to reduce your image file to under 500k in size before posting to the bikewinter list.

6) Submissions not meeting 1 through 3 above will not be included in the voting.
Voting will take place via SurveyMonkey and will be conducted under the supervision of the Bike Winter chairs, Julie and Lowell.

7) The winner will be determined by a tally of votes on Friday September 3; by submitting a design the creator hands off ownership to the Bike Winter effort and its volunteers for use in promoting the Bike Winter effort; creators agree that they will assist promptly if their design is chosen in any minor changes needed to assure visibility, compatibility with the printer's requirements, etc., and/or authorize others to make said changes.

Views: 543

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hey all - I'm super excited about all the submissions! It's really awesome we have so many people dedicated to spreading the excitement of Bike Winter, especially when it is 85 degree and sunny today :))
My 0.02: cheesy tag line to go with it "I want to ride my Icicle"

Marne Provost said:

what about now?
I love the "I want to ride my icicle!" I also like the diagonal text better as it lets the icycles be longer. Not quite where where "I want to ride my Icicle" could go, but I still like it.
Wow, that's really cool :-)

Marne Provost said:

what about now?
So far Marne's, Jami's, and Dubi's are the only serious entries that really meet the stated criteria.
Deadline is Thursday-- get your final revisions in!
"I want to ride my icycle" is brilliant.

jamimaria said:
I love the "I want to ride my icicle!" I also like the diagonal text better as it lets the icycles be longer. Not quite where where "I want to ride my Icicle" could go, but I still like it.
"I want to ride my Icicle" could even be in smaller and subtler font somewhere... please, please add it?

H3N3 said:
"I want to ride my icycle" is brilliant.

jamimaria said:
Been watching the discussion, reviewing the candidates, and yeah Marne, yours quickly jumps to my favorite. I like the Narwhals lancing cars one, but this one is so pure and printable. A thought that if you slanted the wheel icicles (like the text), it would imply motion, which is key to the message, that riding doesn't stop in winter, as opposed to current which implies stationary. A tagline I fear would overcomplicate, unless very very good.
Hey guys, I ran a few of the candidates by our most likely sticker source, and here's what they said (about Dubi's and Jamis's specifically in this case):

> I took a look at the two images and although the buffalo riding the bike
> should not be a problem at all, there are a few concerns with the
> pelican. The graphic is simple enough and the colors are great, but if
> you look on his scarf, wing holding the handlebars and his beak, there is
> a slight gradation and fade in the colors. In screen printing this can
> become an issue because of the shading. When looking at an image, you
> want to consider each new shade, whether lighter or darker to be a whole
> separate color. Each color has its own film screen in the layering
> process of printing. If you could make these parts of the bird a solid
> color, it would work beautifully.

Jami, is this something that can be easily fixed?

Marne, I can ask about your final candidate as well--is there another on the way?. The submissions that have photographic elements are doable AFAIK, but would cost at least twice as much for the same sticker quantity.
Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and smoothed out the gradations. Since it was a handdrawn image, it wasn't really all that pristine.

It's nice to see all of the ideas for the sticker. I think that people will be excited to vote. This is really fun for me because I've never really much original graphic creation before!

Ack....not sure why this is so huge
H3N3 said:
Hey guys, I ran a few of the candidates by our most likely sticker source, and here's what they said (about Dubi's and Jamis's specifically in this case):

> I took a look at the two images and although the buffalo riding the bike
> should not be a problem at all, there are a few concerns with the
> pelican. The graphic is simple enough and the colors are great, but if
> you look on his scarf, wing holding the handlebars and his beak, there is
> a slight gradation and fade in the colors. In screen printing this can
> become an issue because of the shading. When looking at an image, you
> want to consider each new shade, whether lighter or darker to be a whole
> separate color. Each color has its own film screen in the layering
> process of printing. If you could make these parts of the bird a solid
> color, it would work beautifully.

Jami, is this something that can be easily fixed?

Marne, I can ask about your final candidate as well--is there another on the way?. The submissions that have photographic elements are doable AFAIK, but would cost at least twice as much for the same sticker quantity.

Ross Felten said:

Cool-- was wondering if we'd see a Ross Felten submission.

Ross, we need "bikewinter.org." Will need a larger image for the final voting candidate.

Tony, lose the "2010" Read the top post in this thread again if necessary.

Tony and Liz, it appears to me your text is not large/prominent enough to be read at any distance except up close. At a minimum a person of reasonable visual acuity should be able to read "Bike Winter" at a glance from a distance of at least 6 feet, preferably 10 or more.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service