The Chainlink

1988 Trek 800 dropbar conversion - ultimate commuter?

So I am just going to copy and paste my CL ad for my bike.  There will be a discounted chainlink selling price where I'd ask $150 instead of $180.  I'd like the bike to go to someone who will use it but also appreciate it.  I really am torn as to whether keep it or sell it, but it truly is way to small for me (I found I ride a 60cm road bike and this is several inches smaller).  It is currently my back-up commuter and was going to be my winter commuter but after riding it last night and today, for the first time since I go the new road bike, it is super uncomfortable.

So here is the ad in all it's glory!

That's right, this here is a man's man kind of bike, or woman's woman for the ladies out there. This is a 1988 Trek 800 Antelope that has been converted to a Deda 250 44cm wide dropbar with Shimano ST-2300 brifters on it. Aptly named "The Dirty Gertie", because this old gal likes to be ridden hard in sun, rain, and mud. That and the name came after combining 2 bikes originally.

And no, that super custom made front fender will not be on the bike. I might still have it but it sucked......

That beautiful Chromo-moly Tange #5 lugged frame is 20" and there isn't a single dent or bend in it, some sticky goop where someone at one time had some Velcro adhered to it....seriously, who puts glue on a bike? 

The fork is the stock steel one so it will allow you to workout your upper body when rolling down the streets of Chicago. Think of it as urban single track....all the time. The gear box was changed to a 7 speed in the back, and the fronts are currently being run on the middle and big ring because the front brifter is a 2 speed not 3.....but you should only be in the big ring because of Rule #90 anyway.

The bottom bracket was replaced about 100 miles ago if even that with a brand new Shimano UN54, and the mid and large chain rings were replaced about 500 miles ago, so the front drivetrain spins smooth as butta. Note not butter, butta because there is a difference you can taste and feel. Taste the chain-bow. 

The chain was replaced about 500 miles ago, SRAM PC850, with the quick link that was just removed (7/20/14) cleaned and greased.

The tires have about 500 miles on them and still have the nubbies, and I have only had one flat (because of where I work....stupid metal shavings). The tires grip in anything except 2" of mud and ice....but that is because they aren't designed to, duh! They are Continental Double Fighter IIs and are a BEAST on just about any surface. Probably work well on the moon I just haven't gotten my ticket to go yet.

Why am I selling this monstrosity of awesomeness? Well I recently acquired what we will call the Advanced X1, same one Mr. Vader flew, and had it fit to me. Well upon returning to ride Gertie I found that she is a size or 2 too small for me. So instead of looking like a gorilla on a tricycle I have decided to try to give my old girl a new home. Yours.

Some of the caveats are she has been an on going project for me so she isn't perfect. The current wheels on it were just greased but the rear needs truing and I don't have a truing stand, unfortunately. I was lovingly right-hooked at the end of May and the rear derailleur is out of whack, although I straightened it out quite a bit and it shifts but it can skip if you are cross-changing. The bike is 26 years old so the paint isn't flawless and there is MINOR rust on the chain stays, nothing through and nothing that a slight sanding and primering shouldn't fix. You can pick up a rear derailleur on Amazon for cheap but you'll need a longer chain.

I also have another set of the stock Araya wheels that will need some work and truing, plus a rear hub for the original wheel that has a stripped out hub on it (long story but a bike shop screwed that up). So you get 3 more rims aside from the ones on the bike.....like Christmas for wheels. And I have a SKS rear fender that can be made to work, but the tires are slightly too wide for full coverage. The bracket that holds it to the cross-over broke and I didn't replace it.

I am open to offers but you're not going to find another looker like this. I get side glances all the time from the CX riders who think I just rolled up on the beast-mode version of their bike. But Scotty doesn't know about this!

No trades just cash. First come, first serve sorry I don't wait for someone to show up unless you want to give me a deposit. You email me 10th but show up first with cash, the bike is yours.

More pics upon request.

Views: 870

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Figure I'll bump it once, probably going to get stripped and the frame will go into storage.  But if anyone is interested in a complete bike, here it is!

Interested, sent a FR to mssg

I accepted, message me any questions.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service