The Chainlink

This is a 1971 Atala Competizione frame, stamped "21" on the bottom bracket, which is its seat tube measurement in inches, center-to-top. The top tube measures 21-3/8" center-to-center. The wheelbase is 40". The serial number, stamped near the top of the seat tube on the right side, is "71A1092".

I bought it as a complete bike on Craigslist for its parts. I never even looked at the frame. Once I got it home and looked at it, I thought, "hey, this is a nice frame." I adjusted it and set it up so my wife could try it out. She gave it a try, but said, "no thanks, go ahead and part it out." If it was my size, I wouldn't sell it.

This is a very nice frame. The shorelines on the lugs are done nicely, the chrome is in very good shape for such an old frame (dontcha just love chrome socks?), it has a very nice head tube badge, and the paint, while not listed as an option in the Atala 1971 catalog, appears to be original, sporting a Turin sticker near the bottom of the seat tube, and a "Competizione" sticker near the top of the down tube. According to the catalog, the frame is made from Columbus double butted tubing, though doesn't mention what type. The dropouts are forged Campy with eyelets front and rear.

There is obvious patina, scratches here and there, and the main decals have all but dissolved away. I went over the frame pretty carefully when I cleaned it, but saw no dents or dings anywhere. The frame comes as shown, with Stronglight bottom bracket, and unnamed headset and seat post bolt. I repacked the bottom bracket and headset, replacing the bearings in both units, and adding a plastic sleeve to the bottom bracket. I put up more photos on Picasabut am happy to take more if you want.

The frame is in Evanston, but I commute regularly to the Loop, and can meet you there.

Views: 840

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Asking price?

Dang, forgot that. My apologies. $125.

also, what size seatpost? will it be a nightmare to find a replacement?

John said:

also, what size seatpost? will it be a nightmare to find a replacement?

I hope not. I will include the seatpin (old style, separate clamp at the top). I'm at work right now and heading out of town for the weekend this afternoon, so I won't be able to measure it until Monday at the earliest, but if you're the lucky buyer, you'll at least have a workable solution until you can find something more suited to your tastes. If worse comes to worst, you can probably take it to a shop with a reamer and have them ream it to your desired dimension. I'm sure there's sufficient metal.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service